Author Topic: need help turning a bowl  (Read 5031 times)

Brad Robinson

need help turning a bowl
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:52:02 PM »
Hey guys, I just cut a down big burl last night and sealed the ends with anchor seal. I also cut some bowl size blocks out of the stump, and anchor sealed the end grains. How long before i can turn the block into a bowl? I have heard it is best to turn green and then let it sit and dry for a few months. What do you guys that turn bowls recommend? I am going to practice turning a glue up first to get the hang of bowl turning. This is some gorgeous wood and i dont want to screw it up.

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
Re: need help turning a bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:01:27 PM »
i turn all my bowls green . i rough turn them to about 1/2" thickthen i putthe bowl in a bbrown paper bag then take that bag and stick it into another baguntill i have the bowl in three bags then label the bag with the date and type of wood and on the shelf it goes . dry time is roughly one year for every inch thick. so around 6 months for the 1/2 inch thich bowl then after that i re chuck the bowl and turn it to about a quarter inch . if you turn it thinner than 1/2 inch as it drys it will twist and warp. which ilike some times  on burl bowls . if your not familiar with turning bowls make sure you cut outthe pith of the wood it will always crack there. good luck and keep those chisels sharp

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 03:04:26 PM »
FIRST, buy a bowl gouge! No spindle gouges allowed! LOL

Turning the wood green is what most guys do because it cuts easier and better. You can turn it dry, but it's going to take longer, and your going to get covered in a ton of dry pokey chips. Lol

There are a few different ways to dry them once turned, alot of guys will fill a bag (or tub) with the chips that came off of it, then you put the roughed out bowl in them. It keeps it from drying to fast and cracking. You can also soak it in DNA, I have done this before, it worked, but I wasn't a big fan. I like to coat them in Anchor Seal, let them sit for about a year (depending on thickness) and then finish turn.  I don't remember what the formula is for getting the wall thickness, but I think it's like 20% of the diameter????

Hope this helps
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Brad Robinson

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »
I was just going to use my carbon tools on it.

Brad Robinson

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »
FIRST, buy a bowl gouge! No spindle gouges allowed! LOL

Turning the wood green is what most guys do because it cuts easier and better. You can turn it dry, but it's going to take longer, and your going to get covered in a ton of dry pokey chips. Lol

There are a few different ways to dry them once turned, alot of guys will fill a bag (or tub) with the chips that came off of it, then you put the roughed out bowl in them. It keeps it from drying to fast and cracking. You can also soak it in DNA, I have done this before, it worked, but I wasn't a big fan. I like to coat them in Anchor Seal, let them sit for about a year (depending on thickness) and then finish turn.  I don't remember what the formula is for getting the wall thickness, but I think it's like 20% of the diameter????

Hope this helps
Once you rough turn, do you anchor seal the entire turning?

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 04:18:52 PM »
Carbide will work, but I prefer the SS. I seal the whole thing.
David
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
Do a google search on this subject.  There are a ton of methods to turning green bowls.  One I like is like Ryan's, but, I use dry shavings in the bag with the bowl.  I remove the shavings once a week(ish) and put new dry shavings in. 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Brad Robinson

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »
yup I  did, but after being on this forum for several years now i kinda wanted to see what the fellas here had to say.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 06:24:56 PM »
I was not suggesting that you should not inquire here.  The text may appear that way but I hope that is not how you read it.  I apologize if you did. 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.