Author Topic: Which Oil To Use?  (Read 12876 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Which Oil To Use?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 01:14:25 AM »
No reason to wet sand a wood call.  You can wet sand a wood call with the oil to create a grain filling slurry on open grained woods.  I'll sometimes do that before soaking in oil overnight.

Can't speak for Stump, but I normally sand my oiled calls to 600 or 800 prior to oiling.  If I do a grain fill by wet sanding with oil I do it with 600 or 800 grit usually.  Sometimes I'll go as fine as 1200 but I don't usually see a lot of benefit from it on a wood call.  Buffing will pop the shine quite nicely.
Just found this thread. New to using Tru-Oil as a finish. So would 4-6 coats of Tru-Oil be good? Is buffing a must or can you just run with the 4-6 coats?

Number of coats depends on the porosity and density of the wood.  For cedar I've found that the first two coats almost always soak in, so it takes more coats to build a finish and five or six coats are needed.  For hard/dense woods like osage you can get away with three coats most of the time.  On average, four coats???

I see no benefit at all to buffing Tru Oil.  If each coat is buffed with 0000 steel wool after drying, the final coat should end up being glass smooth.

I see you finally decided that buffing is beneficial.  But I still don't agree using with using the 0000 steel wool, . 0000 steel wool is like sanding with 400 grit sandpaper.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »
How do you get that much shine? What grit do you wet sand to?

The calls in question were sanded simply to 1000 grit. 
I and others have shared photos to verify that it is possible to get a shine with Velvit oil.  Read the instructions on the can, follow them and you have your answer. 

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Brandon@LastRitesCustom

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 10:03:10 PM »

I and others have shared photos to verify that it is possible to get a shine with Velvit oil.  Read the instructions on the can, follow them and you have your answer. 

STUMP

Will do. Thank you sir & very nice finishes on those calls.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 10:13:25 PM »
There are 3 videos on buffing on the Beall Tool site, here is the first one.     
After watching the Beall site videos you will realize that you can get the shine without any finish, but in my opinion that s not satisfactory.  Never buff before the finish has cured,you can buff the finish off.  And you can not apply finish after you have buffed, the buffing compounds are made using a wax/tallow mix and it will seal bare wood.

If you read info from the 2 sources I mentioned you will already know know that. 

Finishes are not rocket science, but they are not easy, there is no such thing as a a quick and easy finish for all woods.  But most woods can be finished  with oil type finishes.  But no good finish will end if it didn't start with a good sanding.

Marvin

Offline Jason Connellee

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 10:07:21 AM »

STUMP

Will do. Thank you sir & very nice finishes on those calls.

That's right.  Much like Stump, i sand to 1000-1500.  Pending wood I'm using.  Apply oil, buff on lathe.  Brings it up quite nicely. 

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 01:28:11 PM »
Instructions off of the website.
http://www.velvitproducts.com/details_velvitoil.html

Application
 Apply Velvit Oil to the wood surfaces, leave it penetrate 30 to 45 minutes. If it starts to dry out, apply more Velvit Oil, but keep the surface wet at least 30 minutes. Once it has penetrated for at least 30 minutes, start to wet sand using 320 to 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. The sanding action creates a paste that fills the pores of the wood. Take a soft cloth and wipe off the excess. Leave it dry 24 hours. Nothing else need be applied over it.

Maintenance
 Only pure Lemon Oil is recommended for polishing. Silicone or wax oils make wood susceptible to water spotting and are affected by ultraviolet light causing darkening of finish with age.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 12:15:18 AM »
No reason to wet sand a wood call.  You can wet sand a wood call with the oil to create a grain filling slurry on open grained woods.  I'll sometimes do that before soaking in oil overnight.

Can't speak for Stump, but I normally sand my oiled calls to 600 or 800 prior to oiling.  If I do a grain fill by wet sanding with oil I do it with 600 or 800 grit usually.  Sometimes I'll go as fine as 1200 but I don't usually see a lot of benefit from it on a wood call.  Buffing will pop the shine quite nicely.
Just found this thread. New to using Tru-Oil as a finish. So would 4-6 coats of Tru-Oil be good? Is buffing a must or can you just run with the 4-6 coats?

Number of coats depends on the porosity and density of the wood.  For cedar I've found that the first two coats almost always soak in, so it takes more coats to build a finish and five or six coats are needed.  For hard/dense woods like osage you can get away with three coats most of the time.  On average, four coats???

I see no benefit at all to buffing Tru Oil.  If each coat is buffed with 0000 steel wool after drying, the final coat should end up being glass smooth.

I see you finally decided that buffing is beneficial.  But I still don't agree using with using the 0000 steel wool, . 0000 steel wool is like sanding with 400 grit sandpaper.

Marvin

Huh?  Did I miss something Marvin?  You've dug up a three year old post where I describe my method for finishing with TruOil, which includes smoothing with 0000 steel wool, and seem to be comparing it to a post I made on this thread describing how I buff Velvit oil finished calls with a Beall wheel system as though I'm somehow contradicting myself...Which I'm not.  Tru Oil and Velvit Oil are two very different finishes and I go about them very differently. 

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 06:38:50 AM »
One other thing I have found is the higher the RPM on the lathe the better the finish comes out using steel wool 0000. And yes you have to watch not to burn thru the finish and so on and so forth.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Longntooth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 06:52:05 AM »
Ok, I'll get in the pool!!!  A few years back I became the proud owner of a Wingert Whistle!  Osage orange with a Velvit Oil finish.
Ever since then, there has been a can of Velvit Oil on my bench.  After monkeying around with it, I have been able to achieve a similar finish that Ron(Stump) has on his calls, even on Hedge!!!  CA for the mantle, and Velvit for the lanyard!   :2:  Kitch
Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting for your kids