Author Topic: Micarta turorial 2.0  (Read 3382 times)

Offline aprilheadhunter

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
Micarta turorial 2.0
« on: April 19, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
Okay guys we are going to try this again.
Please remember Iím far from an expert.  These photos are from my 3rd attempt at making micarta. 
If you saw the 1st tutorial you will notice that this one has a few more photos in some areas and no photos or instruction in others.

The materials I used were
Wax paper
Masking tape
An old pair of jeans
Fiberglass resin
An old Egyptian cotton bed sheet
Homemade press
Utility knife
 Some clamps

I made a press from scrap lumber.  It's about 2.25" wide and deep and 10Ē long.  We didnít get a good photo of it this time but it is pretty simple. 
Here is a photo of the press after it was lined with wax paper.

I use a piece of scrap corian that I use as guide when I cut the cloth to size.  It is a little narrower than the press to ease assembly because you will be pressed for time.  When cutting the cloth, place each piece of cloth in the press.  You will need to stack the cloth until it is around a half inch taller than the press.  Itís kind of hard to see in this photo but, the cloth is stacked behind the press.

The guide is also very useful to hold the wax paper in place when you are lining the press.   

You will definitely want to double up your rubber gloves.  It will save your butt if you donít pour enough resin ahead of time.

I put the resin in disposable BOWLS to aid in clean up and it gives you more time to work before it starts to harden.  The reason I use several bowls is because I can put the hardener in the 1st bowl and once the resin is used, I can put the hardener in the 2nd bowl and so on. 
Please understand that I am starting with several bowls full of resin, they are only lacking hardener.

Before I put any cloth in the press, I spread some resin in the bottom of the press.  This insures that there is resin on both sides of the cloth.  After that I spread resin on the top of each piece of cloth as I add them. 
When I am spreading the resin I use my hands.  I just scoop the resin out with my fingers and use them to moisten the cloth and then move to the next piece.

If you look at the pile of cloth you will see the ďsurprise layerĒ of denim. 
The wife is always joking with me about putting a surprise layer of rice or whipped topping in our food. Yuck!

Itís nice to have an assistant to add the hardener to the next one when you empty a bowl of resin. 

Here I am about 3/4th of the way through the cloth.

I made it to the end.

Here Iím putting the utility knife to work cutting the masking tape so I can close the wax paper before pressing.

Next I close the wax paper over the top so the micarta doesnít get stuck to the press after hardening.

Now itís time to bust out the clamps and the lid.

You can see here, the extra resin is being squished out of the press.

After I get the press clamped, I stand it up and use the empty bowls to catch the resin as it is leaks out of the press.  Also notice that I cover my work area with wax paper.

After 24 hours I check to make sure everything is hardened and remove the blank from press.  This time it took an hammer and a pry bar.
The resin I used was from an auto parts store. 
Also check out some videos on youtube

Sorry it took so long to type this up.  I do have a call turned from this blank and will post photos as soon as I take them.
" May turkeys be the judge of my calls for as long as I can convince hunters to use them!"-Parker

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
Re: Micarta turorial 2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 08:40:37 PM »
Good job on the tutorial.

You need one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/1074941-RM-17S-17-Inch-Rotating-Self-Healing/dp/B0010ERKZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429489988&sr=8-1&keywords=olfa+rotary+cutting+mat

And one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/9654-RTY-2-Ergonomic-Rotary-Cutter/dp/B000BNLLHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429490070&sr=8-1&keywords=olfa+rotary+cutter

They are expensive, there are brands that are cheaper and just as good.  I am lucky in that my wife had both and I used hers.  A lot easier to cut the material than using a utility knife or scissors.  Best part, my wife will cut the denim up for me if she has these available.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline aprilheadhunter

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:17:14 PM »
I like the idea of having the wife cut it up for me
" May turkeys be the judge of my calls for as long as I can convince hunters to use them!"-Parker

Offline aprilheadhunter

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 10:56:23 PM »
Here is the call.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:58:36 PM »
That's sweet looking
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline James Strickland

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:47:40 AM »
That's an awesome tutorial and call!  Thanks for taking the time to post all that up.