Author Topic: Crow call bit size!?  (Read 6427 times)

A.Jamescalls

Crow call bit size!?
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:03:34 AM »
guy ordered 10 crow calls from me after I told him numerous times I didn't make crow calls.
He insisted so here I sit with a debacle. Ordered some generic crow inserts that taper from a 5/8" to a ??  Their website said 7/16" --stupid me for not catching that-- I'm no artist with a tape measure but I'm coming up with a 11/16 at the top. Any of you guys ran into this and got any knowledge for this crow hootin rookie?

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Crow call bit size!?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 02:45:54 AM »
Welcome to THO. Although your customer has not allowed you the time frame, there is a gob of information on crow and elk gut modifications in those sections of THO to take a look at. Everyone does it a little different, with the Latta Method being the staple go-to.

The taper is morse 2 taper. (MT2, like most mini and midi wood lathes these days).

Check out the Latta Method threads and tutorial, MT2 threads in the crow and elk call sections, and decide for yourself what is your best course of action.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/board,113.0.html

Your bit size will end up being 5/8", or 41/64" or 43/64".....which ever you think you get your best results from.

My personal take on your problem. I flat out will not accept an order for that many calls at a time. And I will for SURE not accept an order for more than a single of a type of call I have never built and know will run and hold up to my satisfaction. You have a tall order on your hands.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:53:13 AM by VECtor Calls »
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Bob Palmer

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 09:07:35 AM »
Not sure where you ordered the guts...but for the ones I use, I drill a 5/8" hole through the center of the square stock, then use a MT2 reamer to just past depth needed (allowing for final shape and sanding), then put the stock on the 5/8" mandrel and turn. Fairely simple compared to the alternatives....but the reamer can cost a few $$$$.

I'm with Vince....that's a tall order in uncharted waters! Best of luck!!!

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 11:22:20 AM »
you have to be very careful taking on a order like that with no crow call experiance . it takes a loooooong time to build a good name for yourself in the call making game but only one call away from never making a name for your self. if your going to do in make sure you try and get the customer to give you enough time to do it right . Good luck