Author Topic: Oldie but goodie...  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
Oldie but goodie...
« on: March 18, 2015, 11:05:25 PM »
 :devil2: My mother-in-law asked me to make a cane for my wife's grandma. I had to get a bed extension for my Turncrafter Commander but PSI was running a special and I picked it up for about $60. The components are from Rockler and were lightly scratched, so I attempted to clean it up... NOT SOLID BRASS. Cane is Maple that Dave Hagerman brought down, Bloodwood and Indian Ebony. 
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Oldie but goodie...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 11:30:03 PM »
That's pretty cool!!
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:55:34 PM »
Thanks, David. The brickwork could use a little work but I'm pleased overall.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:14:15 AM »
Better watch out now she has something to hit you with when you get out of line.  :hysterical:
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »
very nice sir what type of finish did u decide to use on a cane . after seeing your picture i thought to myself on what i would use and couldnt decide.

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »
I used craft coat that I won in a contest last year. I'm not a fan of it. It might end up getting stripped. I'll probably end up rubbing oil into it and topping it with gloss waterborne poly.

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 11:51:35 AM »
its never fun to redo anything. is craft coat like a friction polish and did you get much vibration out of a piece that long or did you use a steady rest. sorry about so many questions but a cane has been on my bucket list for a family member and your post my have moved it up a bit . i also need to get a bed extension but i need a few more projects before justifying the purchase. Thanks Joe.

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »
No problem, Ryan. I got a lot of vibration, I don't have a steady rest and didn't even know what one was until I looked it up after seeing your post. I got around it by wearing a leather glove, pressing against the back of the blank while turning, and taking incredibly light passes. Prior to this, the longest thing I had turned was a Bloodwood and Birch mallet but it's only slightly longer than a Reelfoot  :hysterical:
On the bed extension, I honestly bought it specifically for the purpose of making this cane which is counter to my entire philosophy of avoiding specialized purchases that are only minimally useful. I'm still firmly in the black, so it's not a huge deal. Though I do wonder just what the heck I'm going to use it for and where its new home will be in my shop. Odds are it will end up in a cabinet until a "lengthy" new project rears its ugly head. If you really want to make a cane without the expenditure, just make an extension out of hardwood. I considered it but I wasn't sure how long it would take me to get it precise enough and I wanted to have the cane finished by this weekend so I could get it to Maryland in time for her birthday.