Author Topic: Trial and error for the purrfect pot call  (Read 1468 times)

B.Meuchel

Trial and error for the purrfect pot call
« on: March 19, 2016, 12:16:33 PM »
I have been meaning to post my progress here but have been pretty busy lately. So here goes, what I want to do is post the changes I'm making and my thoughts on the difference in sound. This will probably not have very many pics because they will all look the same pretty much, the changes are very minor but big on sound change. Hopefully this will inspire other new call makers to try new thing or give ideas on measurements to play with. So without further ado here goes.

My first couple pots were pretty generic measurements found reading many posts on this site. They had 7 holes 1/2" diameter. I also made one with 9 smaller holes( pics are posted of those on another thread). These holes were centered between the pedestal and the outer edge of the inside of the pot. The big holes made the call a lot louder, they made the higher notes really loud. The smaller hole mellowed it out nicely and that is the hole pattern I kept.

My next experiment was to move the holes closer to the pedestal or closer to the outside. I kept the holes the same size and all other measurements the same also. There was a lot of difference in sound with this experiment. Some hole patterns had great popping purrs, and others had more rasp. There was also a point where the changes really killed the sound, but that's a good thing because it's a all a learning experience and will help when I move on to different surfaces or wood. I picked the pot with the sound I liked and moved on to the next change.

For version 3 I changed the actual sound holes size, but kept the center hole the same. These just got turned and are being oiled right now so when they get finished up and I play they for a week. I'll update with what I like and don't like and we will go from there.

Strikers have been a whole different animal. All I can say is find a weight you like and then when you go to different woods just try a go for the balance you like. There is a great post here about breaking your striker up in thirds and the topper needs to be 1/3 the total length. It works great on my one piece, but was hard to get, for me, on two piece strikers using the commercial dowels, they just aren't long enough for the proportions to look good.

I have also been playing with the outside shape. I'll make a couple the same just trying to refine that shape, and then the next couple will be totally different. I think with these last ones I found a shape I like, but it will probably get refined more with more experience. The outside is just for fun right now, what's most important is the sound.

A great big thanks goes out to someone that started out a mentor but is now a good friend. It has really helped to have someone to bounce ideas off of. If you are just starting out and have questions and are willing to put in the work there are a lot of folks here that will do everything they can to help you get the sound you are looking for.

Brandon.