Author Topic: hog call?  (Read 2571 times)

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
hog call?
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:31:06 PM »
hey guys, not really sure where to post this one.....i did a search and couldn't come up with anything.

my neighbor came over today when i was turning some calls down and he wanted to know if i could make him a hog call ( hog squealer ).  Do they make a reed set/insert for such a beast?

we dont have to many wild hogs in Illinois, but here in south carolina they do.....so this is a new one to me....
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: hog call?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:38:06 AM »
This is a post from about 6 years ago and these are my opinions and I stand behind it today.  There are some that swear you can call feral hogs, maybe they can, but I have never seen it.  A feral hog is food oriented, if you have a food and water source you will eventually have hogs.  But you won't call them to a food sound from 500 yards away like you can a coyote.  The will try to protect their young, so if they are close a high pitch squeal might work, but a dinner bell works every time.

In my part of the world hog calls are money makers.  They don't work but they still sell.  In my opinion the best "call" for a hog is soured corn with a dash of Jello and diesel for extra flavoring.  I don't make them to really sell.  Feral hogs were once domesticated and even though they have been in the wild for quite a few years they still have not developed the instincts of hunting for food.  They use their nose to find food.  With that said I have turned down a small fortune by not selling hog calls.  Go to any area sporting good store and you will find they sell them, and they sell a lot of them.

The commercial calls use a JC reed, I think it is the LV002, but not sure on that.  Others use a reed set up like the deer grunt calls use.  When I get frustrated with listening to the "expert" hog hunters that demand a hog call from me I give them a cottontail distress. charge them twice the price and the suggestion that they hunt over soured corn with a dash of Jello and diesel.  This way they have the hogs coming in for the food and they have their call.

By the way, strawberry Jello seems to work the best.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
Re: hog call?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:11:15 AM »
thanks Marvin, for some reason this didn't show up in my search......

i would have to agree with you....and the origional post. i guess i'll make my position known to the guy, and if he still wants a hog call, well....
God Bless, Pastor Dan