Author Topic: Pen #2  (Read 4143 times)

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
Pen #2
« on: March 01, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »
Finally had the time to finish pen #2.  Slimline with cedar and antler with CA finish.  Let me know what yall think.  Especially any critiques!   I've had some friends say they weren't a fan of the color combo. I think it works, what about yall?
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
Re: Pen #2
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 09:29:21 PM »
That's a very nice pen sir. Great piece of ceder . I like the shape with the bigger upper half. Did you CA the antler to or just buff it

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »
Thanks, Ryan.  It was a little gem hiding in a scrap pile!  It has an interesting feel with the antler top.  Weight is different than others.  Yeah, I put CA on it.  Knew I didn't have to but thought I should to make it match.
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »
I'm lovin' it! Your getting better and better with every post you make!    :gitrdone:
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:58 PM »
The nice thing about making pens is you will find someone that likes that combo. Then there will be others that don't. Never let those discourage you in anyway or you will be allowing them to stifle your own creativity.

I happen to like the looks of this pen. It may be a bit top heavy with the antler,, is it?,, but it looks very nice.   :bigup: :bigup:
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:13:48 PM »
It may be a bit top heavy with the antler,, is it?

It's a little heavier on top, but not enough that it feels bad. It's a different feeling for sure, but it writes well.  The balance is just shifted.

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Very nice.  I've done quite a few antler pens also. Think about eliminating the center band on the slimline pens - I haven't used one in ages - just make the bottom end a little longer. Attached is my "signature" pen - made with a 308 cartridge cut in half. BLO/CA finish on the wood. I've made quite a few of these with combinations of 308 tops and antler tops.
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »
just make the bottom end a little longer
interesting concept. Do you just press the transmission in further?

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 11:38:27 PM »
Yes. Press it in slowly and check pen tip projection frequently. This technique opens up the possibilities for barrel shapes quite a bit.

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 11:42:41 PM »
P.S. - the end 3/16" or so at the top of the bottom section does not have a brass sleeve, so you don't have an exact reference for when to stop pushing the transmission in.