Author Topic: Not the typical striker question  (Read 53397 times)

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
Re: Not the typical striker question
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2015, 07:27:54 AM »
A type of wood I have not seen listed here (and maybe for good reason) is Mountain Laurel.  I cut up some Mountain Laurel last year and it will soon be ready to turn. To me, ML is extremely hard, tight grained, and heavy in comparison to other domestics.  When I cut it up, I'd be willing to send Rick a few pieces for strikers to add to his list of "theoretical" best options.
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »
Jeff, that would be outstanding!  Thank you!

In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2015, 11:51:25 PM »
I have not forgotten about this post.  Right this minute I am working on compiling all the information I can find on strikers.  It is difficult to make a comprehensive list by noodling through all of the old post.  But... I have my legal pad... pen... a clear dining room table... and caffeinated beverage(s). 

Since starting this post I have done a little bit of work on strikers and a lot of thinking/reading.  I know I am kinda repeating myself here:  Because of the staggering amount of variables I do not feel a legit test can be performed.  The results would likely be meaningless beyond what we already know.  Also they would be too personalized.  However, I am going to try as many as I can get my mitts on and slowly report what I like and the characteristics.  I encourage other folks to add in what they think.  If you do I ask that you tell us more than just... I like "XXX" wood.  Maybe some details on why you like it.  Maybe some design characteristics of the striker.

I emailed Dowels on Demand.  Turns out... there not so on demand but more like when they can.  <--- this is a joke.  I understand the service being provided.  I am not knocking them.  Just pointing out the irony.  Anyway, I will have to try to email them again soon.

Adding to the topic and a little food for thought.  To me a good call works well.  A very good call works well and sounds good.  A great call works well and sounds good all the time.  My point being  that there is an element of function in a call.  Its very a very important element to me.  A call that works good and sounds good each time I pick it up is the one I will hunt with.  It may not be the best sounder in my collection but..  its the least temperamental and has good sound.   

When running pot calls they give up their sound eventually and conditioning or cleaning is required.  There is no avoiding the need of conditioning, from what I can tell.  Obviously surface of the call is a large part of this condition.  But, like everything in a turkey pot, everything matters.  The striker is subject to some conditioning too.  Without going to far into methods of conditioning being used id like to know more about how a specific woods properties play into the length of time before it needs conditioning.  <--- I think this is a huge part of why people like what they like whether they know it or not.

In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2015, 01:00:48 AM »

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »
I just read through a post about strikers.  Much of it was information that has been pointed out here already but,  the gentlemen explain it a little different and it clicked a little better for me.  It appears I have been looking at this the wrong way. 

I will try to paraphrase:  The wood's characteristics can be "overcome" by the dimensions of the striker.  The balance between the tip end and the head is critical.  Its about moving the mass.  So essentially if the wood is stickier or slipperier I can adjust the weight of the head to make them mirror each other. 

I will say the same thing again but a different way:  The wood is only important if you are stuck on a certain dimension. 

Am I accurate in my interpretations?     

Here is a mind bender then...  The same physics should apply to all materials. 

I hope I am not beating this thread to death.  It is helping me and I think it will help other new guys who stumble across this thread in the future.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2015, 11:53:21 AM »
I agree to a point. You can't change the cell structure of a species though, so you can only change the GRAB of a specific wood SO much.

An extreme example. No, you can't make a poplar striker sound exactly like a rosewood striker, though both can make a striker (My opinion).

Some 'unique grab' woods to me...... Apple, hedge, purpleheart.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
I just read through a post about strikers.  Much of it was information that has been pointed out here already but,  the gentlemen explain it a little different and it clicked a little better for me.  It appears I have been looking at this the wrong way. 

I will try to paraphrase:  The wood's characteristics can be "overcome" by the dimensions of the striker.  The balance between the tip end and the head is critical.  Its about moving the mass.  So essentially if the wood is stickier or slipperier I can adjust the weight of the head to make them mirror each other. 

I will say the same thing again but a different way:  The wood is only important if you are stuck on a certain dimension. 

Am I accurate in my interpretations?     

Here is a mind bender then...  The same physics should apply to all materials. 

I hope I am not beating this thread to death.  It is helping me and I think it will help other new guys who stumble across this thread in the future.

Rick I like beating this one cause I have spent so much time over the years figuring this out on my own.
Your paraphrase I think should read "Certain characteristics of the wood can be overcome by changing up on dimensions"
As in weight and density you can"t change the overall structure of the wood fibers which I believe also enter into the equation also which affect the grab positive or negative.

I think a truer statement would be "The wood type is important always and is thus adjusted for length and weight to achieve the desired sound of the maker"

I believe the same physics do not apply to ALL Materials. I once messed around with Corian and it never would work no matter how short or long or whatever sizes I came up with. I also did the same with Acrylic to no avail. So I believe some materials do not react in a positive nature toward the end result we want as in the sound we want to achieve. Sure there is reaction across the surface but not what we want.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
Thanks fellas.  Looks like I over shot a bit.  I think I am failing to see all the ways that grain effects the operation.

I feel it is important to point out,  I am trying things as I go.  The information here is helping me to make sense of what I am doing but, I still do it.  Trying things is a valued part of the learning process for me. 

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »
I am all about grinding this topic into the DIRT. Its still at about 2-3 feet above ground if we started at 10. :)

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2015, 04:15:52 PM »
I am all about grinding this topic into the DIRT. Its still at about 2-3 feet above ground if we started at 10. :)

Probably closer to 8 feet above ground.  Wood from the same species is different depending where it was grown.  Maple up north is not like the maple grown on Texas.   The Mesquite from north Texas is not like the mesquite from south Texas.  Same species but the growth rings are different and the hardness can even vary by the amount of average rainfall in the different areas.  I believe even the minerals in the soil have a cause and effect on the final wood product. 

Wood is not like man made materials, so many variables that the characteristics can only be described in generalized terms.  I had a hickory log that came from Houston that was nothing like some hickory blanks that came from Arkansas. 

Marvin

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2015, 07:13:46 PM »
Probably explains a lot about the differences we see in Cocobolo?

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2015, 07:41:11 AM »
This has definitely been one of the better reading topics posted in a while.  Thanks Rick and to all that have contributed to this thread.  Not that this particular topic will ever be totally agreed upon or not, this thread requires thought, understanding, and comprehension.  It made me think allot about all of all my processes related to call making.

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2015, 09:58:33 PM »
I learned a few things today... One pertaining to strikers too!  The head needs to be on the dowel pretty tight or glued.  I was trying to play one that was not fixed into position and it would hardly play at all. 

I came about this "discovery" While experiment with different heads on a dowel.  I turned up a half dozen heads and was changing them out and adjusting lengths.  One was not on very well and it would not play.  Now I use a small piece of paper towel to jam fit but I can still adjust it.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
So far... it is looking like Black Locust is pretty close to Purple Heart, for me.  When plugged into the same topper and condition the same.  They play and sound similar.  Not an exact match but close enough that I like it.  I can not say I am surprised.  I may have even said it already my hunch was Black Locust was high on my suspect list.  Based on the Janka ratings, densities and grain they are fairly similar.   

I have not been able to try all the suggestions yet.  I have tried Hickory, Oak (red and white), Black Locust, Maple, Walnut, and Cherry.  I will have to keep trying these as it quite apparent that all dowels in the same species are not made equal (I think someone already pointed that out). 

I still do not have a way to quantify any "Results".  So I am just going to keep on trying things and posting what I think. 

I am going to try a third email to Dowels On Demand right now.  I hear they have a large order going on at the moment that they are filling but I have not heard from them.  At all lol.  I guess the fella has the market cornered as I keep trying. 

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2015, 04:26:22 PM »
No doubt he has the market cornered. What ever machine he has, he has it fogured out. It spits out a great product.

VECtor Custom Calls