Author Topic: Not the typical striker question  (Read 52398 times)

Caney Creek Calls

Re: Not the typical striker question
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »

Ryan, you point out another reason I prefer domestic wood.  I like to get some of it myself too.  I find it rewarding to go from tree to call.  Eventually I would like to source my own slate too.  That is way ahead of me though. 

I don't make pots so I don't have any experience using it for striker's but you might think about dogwood too, I do know it is a very hard and dense wood.

Lewis

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »

Dogwood makes an outstanding striker. It is hard to find pieces large enough for one piece strikers, but if a guy could get into some thicker dogwood, a guy would be set.

Great thought Lewis!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:58:40 PM by VECtor Calls »
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
I bet it would be hard to find some good size dog woods I have a lot of them on the farm in w.v. but they are no bigger than my wrist I may have to look into it. It won't be to much longer befor they bloom around here.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 09:32:17 PM »
Try some Apple, Rick. I've heard from ALOT of guys that it is a good striker wood. ;D
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 10:03:26 PM »
Marvin, I intend to share what I find.  Predator calls are locking up all my shop time right now.  As soon as I am out from under those, which will likley be late March, I will start more work on strikers.  The majority of my effort will be durning the summer in my slowest months. 

Till then.  I am going to spend my couch time planing.  And going through forum posts to find more insight.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Rick@R-Squared

• New Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 11:05:51 PM »
Not to add too many variables to your already complex list, but on some of the domestics, have you tried varying the diameter of the peg and noting the results?  I mostly turn one piece strikers and matching the diameter of the peg to the wood is pretty crucial for me.  One other modifier has been whether i use a mushroom head or straight head.  So many options with strikers, but thats what makes it fun.

-Rick

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 01:12:33 AM »
Try some Apple, Rick. I've heard from ALOT of guys that it is a good striker wood. ;D

Apple is another interesting one to add to the list for sure. I can't really explain the grab it has, but its an interesting one. Completely different than others.

On that thought, I was remembering the last guy I made an apple striker for, and I also made him a mesquite!  That's another GREAT domestic option to add to the list!  I wish I had more of it to use for strikers!

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 02:54:34 AM »
Rick, I'm going with 5/16" dowels that are purchased.  Like you said, it's another variable to consider for sure.

It would take a life time to truly test all variables.  I think my plan for testing will allow me to make some connections though. 

Maybe we can break down and discuss what makes a striker function.  Keep in mind the following is not being stated as fact.  If something in the following is inaccurate please Inform.  The friction of the striker running across the surface makes the surface vibrate and resonate into the rest of the pot.  Correct?  If that's true than the "grab" of the striker is the first thing that would matter.  If  the striker does not grab than it will just slide across the surface and no noise happens.  If it Grabs too much than it won't slide across the surface and no sound again.  If all of the before is true than a striker functions based on the proportions of grab and slide.  I think the "grab factor" is controlled by the grain, hardest, and weight, of the overall striker.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 05:33:27 AM »
I think the "grab factor" is controlled by the grain, hardest, and weight, of the overall striker.

Three things also come to my mind with the user too though, that is going to be hard to control, and hard to measure. All a tester can do is try to be consistent and realize how they 'do it' may not compute to the next tester, or the end user.

Angle of the striker as it is presented to the surface (this WOULD be the easies to control).

How and where on the peg the striker is held.

And the biggest problem to measure: how much pressure is applied by the tester, in both side to side pressure in their grip, and downward pressure applied from the peg to the call surface.

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Matt Martin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »
I'm always the contrarian....while I can hear the subtle differences that various woods make I think that maybe for some woods the differences are too subtle.

As call makers we hear things that buyers do not hear.  We have a sound we are looking for and often find it by changing strikers.  The funny thing is that you could call in and take a turkey with any number of striker/call combinations.  Sometimes we as makers and hunters alike obsess over the little things.  I'm just as guilty.

Like you I am going to be using domestics exclusively.  I am in the early stages of branding my calls.  I intend on advertising them as 100% American made with 100% American components.  Walnut, cherry, persimmon, black locust, pecan, hedge, poplar, etc.  I find that on glass and copper/aluminum is where I get the biggest change with different strikers.  I would say to my ears that persimmon is very close to PH. 

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
You fellas you have brought up a good point.  The human factor that I have been trying to wrap my head around.  I think for this test to tell us anything, a very large sample group repeating the same test with the same "tools" would be required.  The average might reveal something (might not too).  However, that is logistically more than I am prepared to deal with.  In the end I come right back to the age old tradition of trying things until you find some thing you like and build YOUR call.     

Offline Ron Hendrix

• New Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2015, 02:57:43 PM »
In the end I come right back to the age old tradition of trying things until you find some thing you like and build YOUR call.   

I think that is what each call maker should do because no two turkey calls sound just alike and no two turkeys sound just a like. Maybe you make one and see how well the turkeys like it. Turkey hunters love their turkey calls and not all who hunt make them but they do like to have one from several different call makers. Most turkey hunters can't even carry all their turkey calls into the woods when they go after the long beard but they carry as many as they can and sometimes one will work and other times another will work. Until you see how the turkey responds all your testing is pretty well moot unless we want to be like the fish lure mfgs. who build the lures to lure the fisherman to buy and just hope the fish like it too. Let's hope no one ever finds that magic formula that is the end all be all and is the perfect call because when they do, hunters will not need to buy from many different makers. They will just buy the one. I am just now starting to build them because I want to see what I can do with the ones I make but that doesn't mean I don't already own a bunch of calls because I do and I am one who can't carry all of them into the woods. I am also an avid fly fisherman and I tie my own flies and build my own rods. At first I thought it would save money but that was a big joke. I have spent more money on materials than I ever would have by buying the finished produce but it is the thrill of catching that fish on the fly you tied and the rod you built. I think the same thing goes with game calls.

I sure do appreciate all the info you guys impart on this forum. I have learned more reading what you have to say than I would have in years of trial and error. Thanks a bunch. Maybe one day I too will have something to contribute and can return a portion of the wealth of knowledge I have tapped into here on this board. Thanks a bunch. Tight lines and good calling.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2015, 03:33:52 PM »
Another great point, Ron.  Using my line of thinking it is easy to lose sight of the fact that the turkey has to like the sound more than me.  Which is the MOST important factor. 

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
A thread on how a striker works with a great response from Larry.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,22299.0.html

Offline Truefire

• New Forum Member
  • whistling wings stir the soul
    • www.quackycalls.com
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2015, 04:45:03 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing whether the specific composition of the oil found in the Purpleheart isn't what makes it 'stick' so well.  Whatever the oil is, it is unique.   As I understand, Peltogyne (purpleheart) is actually a brown wood in the heart of the tree when first cut, it turns purple when exposed to the atmosphere.  Perhaps, its something behind the dynamics of that composition that makes this oil different than that of other exotics. 

You know it does burn easier that that of other exotic's oils - if you take notice when turning. 

Wondering if at the microscopic level, if that slight oil residual at the tip of a striker acts like surfboard wax under one's feet...providing 'grab'

You have really got me thinking on this one.  I would love to look at the end grains of these woods under a powerful microscope.

quackycalls.com
   custom duck and turkey calls