Author Topic: Not the typical striker question  (Read 53354 times)

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
Not the typical striker question
« on: February 28, 2015, 11:00:53 PM »
If you will all bear with me… lets talk material.... again..... I have sworn off of exotic wood (imported from tropics).  It is a personal choice that I have made.  I take no issue with others using it.  I don't want to go into that topic but it is the root reason for my questions.

After searching through many of web forum, what other call makers are using, and my own personal preference it appears Purpleheart is a highly favored striker material.  Dymondwood and a few others are quite popular also.  But the availability of dymondwood looks scarce for the time being and the others are exotics. 

I am seeking a domestic alternative to purpleheart.   I am talking 2 piece strikers.  Dowel into a topper.  For sake of discussion assume all variables of the striker are the same with exception to the dowel material.  I am looking for domestic alternatives to purpleheart.

I am trying to wrap my head around what makes purpleheart such a good striker.  I have my assumptions.   However, I figured I would ask if anyone had any insight on why purple heart so good. If your answer is: I hate purpleheart and it is a terrible striker, than I am not asking you lol. 

In essence this question really is what makes a striker good and the answer to that is likely as varied as the individual using it.  But for those who like what they like.  I am sure there are physical characteristics that are responsible for the fondness.  I am trying to figure out what they are, specifically.

In attempt to compare woods I did some research on Janka rating, specific gravity, and density of different woods.  Specific gravity seems like a waste of time.  Density and the Janka rating seem considerable.  I am NOT a scientist.  But within reason I like to consider everything. I am not going to break out the microspoe and start comparing cellular structure though.  Does anyone have a tangible they to recommend?

Obviously I am not going to get out of this without trying stuff.  I don’t want to either.  Trying things is the fun part.  For that sake of knowledge I like to know why something works, not just that it works.  So before I jump right in I like to think about it and do some research.  Likely this post is just me writing down my thoughts.  But I figured I would share my thoughts to see if anyone has any insights.     
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Not the typical striker question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:40:30 PM »
I am interested to hear more about what you found in your Janka research.

Purpleheart random thoughts. It is dense. Its end grain cell structure is different than others. Notice the little 'pits' in the end?  PH is consistently dense, and does not waver much from one tree to another.....one board to another. Its so consistent, I don't think it matters about the tree size it is coming out of, or the growth rings out of one tree/board to another. Though, I don't know about the trees. I have never seen a PH tree.

All that said about PH, I think you are on a great path with the Janka chart.

ALL that said, I think you will find your domestic answer is hickory. And I personally don't think hickory holds a candle to PH.  But, it is a great choice for a domestic wood, and I have killed several birds with it.

If you don't want to discuss this part any more, that is fine, just throwing my perspective out there: So, the side note of you not wanting to use exotics.....even with dymondwood at the root being a domestic wood.....PH is a whole lot more 'wood' than dymondwood is.  Dymondwood is REALLY just a whole lot of plastic.  I don't hold myself to the standards you are talking, I use them all, because I use the materials that make the best sound I can get for a field call. If a company were to say 'domestic woods' and then offer dymondwood as an option, it would make my mind skip a page or two.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 11:53:25 PM »
So, sidebar more to help you find some answers....

You could order a gob of domestic wood dowel options from Dowels On Demand to give them a try.

You could try hedge. I have ran a lot of nice hedge strikers, but the wood has a slight 'gum' to it though it is hard.

I have sent a lot of cherry strikers out the door. They need to be a little thicker....especially in the head....but they sound good. They used to be my basic striker out the door when I only made one peices. My other striker out the door then was dymondwood. The thing with cherry, is it sucks up moisture really bad on a humid spring morning, and this deadens the call.

Black walnut can make a nice striker too. A little thicker head gets you some density in the striker that you need. I have also killed a lot of birds with a walnut striker that has rode in my pack several years. Its peg is a little thicker too. Its a smooth, mellow striker.

You could also make a striker out of oak. Probably red oak would be the best choice. Oak is a pain to turn and sand though, compared to others. The other thing about oak is its big difference from it compared to PH. An oak 'vein' can hit right on the tip of a striker peg. This can make the striker a beast, or make it a dang dud. Its a finicky wood to hit just right for that consistency from one to the next of having a 'design' to say....this is my OAK design that works consistently every time.

That enough jabber jawing for now? :)

Strikers used to be my go-to thing to turn year in, year out. Just in the last couple years, I have transitioned to grunters rather than strikers for my 'I gotta turn something fix'.

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:57:07 AM »
Awesome info Vince!  Thank you. 

I suppose your right.  I can't throw something out there and not give a little reasoning.  I don't wish to use exotic tropical woods for several reasons.  Health concerns, business practices, and I feel we have plenty of good choices right here at home.  I really do not want this thread to be about that topic though.  So that is as much as I will discuss here.  Maybe in this case I will bend my rule and use purpleheart for lack of substitute.  I don't know yet.  I am not trying to be bullheaded so I apologize if the text reads like I am.

I am not only considering wood. I am open to other materials.  I should have said this in the OP.   I am not certain how to compare the other materials yet.  So I am starting with just wood.    Stabilizing or other manner of treating wood has crossed my mind.  Stabilizing seems cost prohibitive though.   

I will be sure to share whatever my findings are.  I doubt any real conclusions can be made based solely on Janka Rating and/or density.  As you said the grain, natural oils, and other elements have their part and will skew this but...

Prelim from memory comparing Janka on some popular options:
Purpleheart- 1860
Ipe- 3684
Osage- 2040
Hickory- 1820
Read Oak- 1290  (white oak is 1360)
cocobolo- 1136
black walnut- 1010
cherry- 995

Based only on Janka  appears people favor above 1000.  The fewest folks like the low end.  A few more favor the high end.  And the most are about in the middle. 

I have been pouring over the DOD spread sheet and wood characteristic charts for hours (the last few nights it has occupied my couch  time).  Wife watches TV and reads a book at the same time.... I look at wood lol.  Too much snow to be chasing coyote.  They can walk on it but I cant.  Forget it.  It will melt eventually.  I digress.  I am putting a list together to order.

In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 01:04:42 AM »
This is obvious but I will point out before someone else does.... People like different strikers for different sounds and on different surfaces.  I know the combinations are endless.  I don't think I am going to solve the worlds problem of finding one best striker for every person, on every surface, and for every sound in the persons hand on every surface.  I am trying to get a better understanding.

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 01:09:05 AM »
I would be looking for domestic woods with a similar density and hardness to Purple Heart , of which the list is quite short... and then pare it down further by looking at the porosity. However, I can't begin to imagine how much of a difference a wood's tonal qualities and resonance could make. Most tonewoods make incredible sounding duck calls, maybe strikers share in this relationship of sound, maybe not.

BUT, what I really want to know is:
What is (are) the cause (causes) of your personal aversion to using exotic woods?
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 01:14:18 AM »
I actually prefer Pecan/Hickory for striker pegs.
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 01:21:33 AM »
I actually prefer Pecan/Hickory for striker pegs.

I had forgotten pecan because one of my boys is allegic to it. It is another good domestic choice (but exotics have been kicked off the list for allergy problems).

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 01:25:35 AM »
And please don't take my questioning of you not using exotics as some kind of knocking Rick. It is your choice, your shop, your world. You do what makes you happy. My thing is, I like to understand why folks choose certain paths to go against the grain.

And this is not a huge leap. It is just a limiting one for turkey calls.

Have you thought about this?  Most folks when they request a specific striker type, it is more than likely going to be purpleheart, rosewood, or dymondwood. What are you going to tell them to do? 

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 01:28:12 AM »
I am a striker NUT, so I sure hope you don't mind me grinding on this topic just as much as you are. I love to try to learn new things about striker work.

I once turned a striker right down the middle that was half PH/half black walnut. It was a BAD dude!  The guy I gave it to, his dog ate it before season started!  Ugh! :)

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 01:41:05 AM »
Persimmon, hickory, Osage and pecan.  You also have the option of acrylic that some people use.  Brookfield has the acrylic dowels, they might also have all the woods in dowels, I don't know.

For me turning dowels is the pits, I would rather buy them.  One piece strikers are great, but to turn dowels for 2 piece strikers isn't going to happen in my shop.   

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 02:26:12 AM »
Vince I am not offended by anything.  I am happy that you are grinding on this subject.  I feel there is a good discussion going and I am learning.  Splinting a striker in half and gluing two different halfs together sounds like something I would try.  I think I may lol.  I may glue different tips on stuff or laminating stuff.  I have all kinds of ideas.

I have spent many hours in the last year trying pots, and strikers.  I recorded them and play them back.  I inspect the tips and grain and every little detail I can think of.  And take notes.  It is just my nature.  But my time thus far pales in comparison to the experience here at THO.  This is why I posted.  Knowledge on the subject is what I am after.  Not time saving so I can slap thing together and send them out the door.  I wont take anyone's word for anything.  I still gotta try it myself.  But I will ask the question to see what other folks have to say.  Often I am shown something I had not considered and I make a better call because of it.  Kinda like a no stone un-turned philosophy.   

Joe, I have health concerns about turning many tropical woods.  This is my main reason.  BUT, if I am just turning a domestic topper and using a purpleheart or other exotic dowel... Maybe its an option.  If I can find a good home grown alternative, I would prefer that.  <--- Vince this kinda answers some of your question in regards to customer request.  Maybe I can offer and alternative that is comparable.  Maybe they have to shop somewhere else.  Probably not a wise financial decision.  Honestly I did not start making calls to make money.  Actually, I knew it was going to cost me money.  I started making predator calls because wanted to make my own.  I started selling the calls by accident really.  A fella inquired about buying some.   One thing led to another, now I sell calls.   

Maybe I will have to reconsider exotics.  However,  I am not totally convinced that I will be selling pots or strikers anyway.  I am just tackling making good ones right now.  :)

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 02:28:12 AM »
Marvin I totally agree.  I wont turn a 5/16" dowel.  I will buy them.

Persimmon, Pecan, Hickory, Osage, and Locust are what I have been looking at.  Also I threw Red and White oaks on there.  I have an oak striker that I like on an aluminum surface. 

I will try the acrylic again but I do not like the one I have.  I have a carbon striker from Mike Yingling that I like on most pots also.  Carbon is an option I am considering. 

Holy smokes... its 2:30 am here.  I'm obsessed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:36:40 AM by Rick Howard »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 03:01:19 AM »
I am waiting for the end of the High Chaparral, reruns but worth seeing a dozen of so times.   From midnight to 2AM, now bedtime in Texas.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 07:07:07 AM »
Rick, have you considered Ash? I've never used it so I can't say good or bad things about it. Just seems like it may be another option.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/