Author Topic: Pot call question about feel  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
Pot call question about feel
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »
I am still new to turkey calling (totally hooked).  I have been and still am learning to run pots.  I am happy with how I am progressing.  I am proficient enough to fool the stupid ones.  Now, I feel I am ready to put real effort into making a pot call.  To this point I have messed with the mechanics of making a pot and peg.  Thus far I have been focused on the mechanics/ logistics of making a call and striker.  I had no way of telling is what I just made was garbage or gold until I learned to play them. 

I am not certain where to start this or if what is on my mind matters.

The feedback coming back through the striker and pot seems important.  At the point the sound rolls over I feel a popping sensation in my fingers holding the call and the striker.  First the striker sliiiiides and you can feel the subtle vibrations. Then the "pop" and suddenly more vibration.  I feel the pop of the striker on clucks and a gentle stick-slide- stick-slide, through the striker, of a purr.  The timing of these elements appear to match up with the timing of the sounds.  Am I just inhaling too many paint fumes or is this important information I am getting?
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Pot call question about feel
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »
I really think the best way to talk about something like this is with a video including audio so everyone can see what you have working for you.

I look at things a little different too. What is the WORST way I can hold my call, and still get it to run great?  Those worst moments happen when a person gets your call in the mail or as a gift where you can't teach them.....or the conditions of the early morning spring dew/humidity make it 'worst conditions'.

I play turkey calls 300 days plus a year. I can kill (have done it on purpose as a test to myself) a turkey with a dowel rod that is corn cob topped, and a chunk of river slate. (Slate cupped in your hand against your body)

Can all the folks I make calls for run something that simple and be happy with it? 
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:51:13 PM »
When I make a pot call I can tell the first five seconds if its a hit or a miss. I always start with a purr. If the purr don't have "pop" I did something wrong. If the purr has a so-so purr almost not quite there yet then I know the striker I chose was wrong. Change up striker woods if the purr was high pitch I go with a denser wood and heavier over all striker if it was low pitched I lighten it up a little until it's dialed in. The rest of the sounds fall in place then.  :2:

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »
Good stuff Larry - any chance you could post some video/sound files and narrate the above post with live samples?
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 06:20:25 PM »
Hey thats a good idea I'll work on that for you!

Larry
Silver Life Member NWTF

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »
Ok here is a example of what I'm talking about Pot call vs Striker.

Larry
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
Thank you a fellas!  So that feeling I get in my fingers is important.  Well important to me anyway so important for my callers.  I learned something else here too...  I have made a few pots with the sound board to far from the playing surface.  Larry that video is very helpful.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Wayne at Winzer Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:35:40 PM »
Thanks Larry for the video.
Wayne
The older blind man was asked "What can be worse than losing you sight?"  He replied " ones vision"
author unknown

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 11:32:05 PM »
Excellent - thanks Larry.
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett