Author Topic: Questions for those that use CA  (Read 8449 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Questions for those that use CA
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 04:58:43 PM »
Yes if there are still ridges that were formed when you applied the CA you'll want to sand those off.  If you start with 1200 wet paper you should have no trouble taking them down.  As you get better at applying the CA you'll find that you can lay it down smoother in the first place, thus reducing this issue.

birddog1

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 06:05:56 PM »
 I have tried a few different types of ca I started using this new stuff I like a lot it goes on nice and smooth

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 09:19:08 PM »
I find you can get those rings from a few things.  Going to fast or more likely too slow when applying.  Also i think ridges can from from putting a coat on before that last one was dry.  I am not 100% on that but it is my theory.  Like Aaron said before, the shine left after sanding are low spots.  The paper probably did not reach down in there.  You can sand them away but will likely sand right through the finish.  I would say your technique of applying needs some practice.  It takes practice to develop the feel of applying CA.  This is why I recommend sticking to one brand and thickness of CA.  The timing of your hand wiping the CA on needs to match up with the coverage of the CA to the piece your finishing.  (That is not worded well but its the best I could come up with).    I think your on the right track.  You just need to keep practicing. 

Aaron posted a great video tutorial on CA.  You should watch it.  Even if you watched it already.  You should go back.  He covered some great points that make more sense after you have tried CA a few times.   
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 01:49:21 AM »
Brands do make a difference, also the age of your supply of CA makes a difference.  Older CA glue doesn't work the same as fresh glue.  You have to buy from dealers that sell a lot and sell to people like penturners.  The people at Hobby Lobby etc., do not rotate their stock so. 

My advice is to look at the penturners sites, they perfected CA finishes, and there are a lot of methods to apply it.  Humidity and temperatures will also affect how it works.   Look at the various methods and try them, eventually you will find one that works for you in your location.   

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Brandon@LastRitesCustom

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »
One thing I learned from Aaron's tutorial was to let your finger ride on the part as you are wet sanding. You will be able to feel the smallest of imperfections.

I have a question. Can you apply CA over Velvit Oil?

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 07:17:48 PM »
Finished product. Thanks again for all the help!  It helped TREMENDOUSLY!  My recently acquired Beall system helped too :)  Just a cell phone pic but let me know what yall think about the finish.
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
I think it looks DANG good!
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
Awesome nice work!
Wane

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 10:49:32 PM »
Looks Purdy darn good!
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 10:53:43 PM »
I would be happy with that!  Nice work!
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 02:37:10 PM »
Help.... what did I do wrong?  Carried this pen for a few days now and a "cloudy" spot appeared.  It was almost flawless when I finished it.  I'm not sure if the picture below will show it well enough but it is very irregular.  The cloudy looking spot feels rough also.  On one spot there is cloudiness with a clear spot in the middle of it. the best way I can describe it is that it looks like the finish separated from the wood but it's not flaking.
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 04:54:45 PM »
I've been seeing a lot of posts of cloudy or spoty ca . I'm wondering if you should let the piece whether its a pen or call rest for a day or so be for finishing with ca or if the wood may need more drying time or to much accelerator.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 11:49:59 PM »
Moisture or too much accelerator.  I never use an accelerator, too many have had that problem, the accelerators also make the CA finish more brittle and subject to chipping.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 12:34:26 AM »
My guess from your description is it is an adhesion issue.  That could be caused by moisture in the wood like Marvin said.  Definitely a very real possibility.  I've had that happen on a couple calls where the stabilizer didn't manage to cure all the resin, and the resin migrated to the surface at the end grain and reacted with the CA, causing it to cloud and bubble up.  Could be too much accelerator too.  There's nothing wrong with using it but you definitely have to use it in moderation.  Remember you just want to cloud the spinning call with it, not coat it with it.  I've tried three or four different brands of accelerator and the only one that has not given me fits is the Satellite City non-CF stuff.  Accelerator on thin CA is a little bit dangerous because the thin stuff cures hotter, and heat can lead to clouding.  When I use thin I generally avoid accelerator just to be safe.