Author Topic: had a great time  (Read 2081 times)

Offline rodney gillikin

• Custom Call Maker
had a great time
« on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:50 AM »
had a great time, going to try to order my stuff for my machine this weekend , collet chuck set and a 4 jaw utility chuck  and tail stock live center. what do you think? and thanks again for a great time . :thanks:
Pure T Momicked Game Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: had a great time
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 10:52:28 AM »
If you are ordering from PSI, be sure to use one of their coupon codes.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Joe Short

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »
Me too, Rodney. Though next time you are going to have to be more hands on! I hope you left with more knowledge than you came with as far as call making is concerned. If you need anything, don't hesitate to contact me.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:33:17 AM »
Rodney, it was a pleasure to meet you and Veronica. I'm glad you made the effort to come and pick our brains!  To echo what Joe said, I hope you got a better understanding of what is required to get started.  We were throwing a lot of info your way. You asked a lot of "good" questions which told me you are approaching this at the right angle!  I want to thank you as well for your encouragement of trying the CA finish although I wimped out...again!  It was really a pleasure to have you over my shoulder while 'we" made that duck call.  It was equally cool to talk "Down East" with ya.  Not a lot of folks know what a "frammin' " is ... :hysterical: Don't hesitate to ask for help; we're here for ya and want to see your success progress.  You'll be showing some new tricks next year in Beulaville!

Take'er easy!

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline rodney gillikin

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »
yep I know I didn't turn anything but I need to test out on some cheap stuff not that pretty wood that was there at Joes place, that flame looking wood man that looks great. does the tools sound about right and what code from PSI?  :up1:

jeff who was the guy/place you said to find wood at? and a location for the duck call sound boards. I don't have a jig yet.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:00:36 PM by rodney gillikin »

Offline jcz

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 05:43:28 AM »
Sure was a pleasure to meet you Sunday Rodney. Don't hesitate to ask if and when you have questions.

As far as tooling, I'd say you have a pretty good list there. Maybe add a Jacobs chuck if you want to drill on the lathe. Then again I seem to remember you saying something about a Jacobs chuck so maybe you already have one.

PSI has a coupon code you can enter at the end of your order. I think it is      DVD10  It will save you 10 bucks but it is a one time deal.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline rodney gillikin

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 06:06:52 AM »
ordered my tools and what would be a good test wood that I could buy local to try out to get a feel for tuning with?

Offline Joe Short

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 08:52:08 AM »
Poplar is a good practice wood for ease of turning and price unless you have free access to firewood. They've got turning blank sized pieces at Lowe's (I know you said there's no Home Depot where you live) pretty cheap. Or you could have a look around for 6 or 8/4 hardwoods in the $1-3 range... If you have the tooling to mill blanks it's hard to beat these prices.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline rodney gillikin

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »
looked on craigslist today and pick up a band saw old craftsman dont know how old but runs  greats it has a medal case not plastic and bearing feel nice.  $30 bucks and got my mandrels from break heart  tools hole set for $30 bucks . :2up:

ps joe what is the longest piece on that pan o router so . I can tell that guy with the 3 d printer.  :bigup:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:47:36 PM by rodney gillikin »