Author Topic: Calling questions  (Read 49148 times)

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
Calling questions
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »
So...anyone have any questions on calling or call operation in general?  Glad to listen to sound files...routines or you simply blowing a call.  Best way I can help is to hear your calling.

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
Re: Calling questions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »
I'd like to take you up on that offer.  What's the best way to post up a sound file on here? 
Jeremiah

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:06:29 PM »
Upload the video to photobucket...then paste the link here boss

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.

Aaron Vice

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:44:51 PM »
Stump, I'm not ready to post up any sound files, but I did take your advice and bought the Carlson 2 cd set. I've been playing it in my truck to and from work. Lots of good instruction in there. I have some bad ha boys to break for sure.

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 09:35:50 AM »
http://s851.photobucket.com/user/jcluesman/media/20150221_084117.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

I did like Aaron and bought the Carlson dvds. I've not been calling very long. I appreciate the opportunity for feedback and advice.

Jeremiah

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 10:37:40 AM »
jcluesman,

What call are you blowing in the soundfile boss.  Need to make sure that I fully know where you are to begin.  But, I will say this.....hats off for posting a soundfile sir!!!!  Takes alot for people to put it out there

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »
I'm using a metal reed from Benjamin "Bear" Lyle.
I'm from the far east of Tennessee (the duck hunting desert) and I have nobody around (at least that I'm aware of)
that is a good caller to sort of coach me along.
Jeremiah

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
Stump, do you teach goose calls too?

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 02:09:13 PM »
I'm using a metal reed from Benjamin "Bear" Lyle.

Now that makes since...We need to get you on a quality J Frame for me to help.  I`m not a metal reed (Reelfoot) style guy.  Is getting you on a quality J Frame for teaching purposes possible?

Goose...sorry boss, not a goose caller.  Expert fag`er though  :eek: 

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 02:46:46 PM »
http://s851.photobucket.com/user/jcluesman/media/RM%20CWF%20run1.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

I literally just got a CWF in the mail a couple hours ago.  Here it is sir.
Jeremiah

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 03:50:07 PM »
Ok...so..you have what I consider to be the number one issue with calling.  Thin or forward pressure air.  Using this kind of air does two things, first it raises the pitch of the call and makes the call sound thin (thin meaning very little rattle).
Now...place your hand in front of your mouth and pretend to blow a call and do a single quack.  Feel the temperature of the air hitting your hand.  Next use the word hut (like a quarterback) and feel the temperature of that air.  Lastly, do the quarterback back hut again but also drop your adams apple.  You will find the last method will produce the hottest air.
Take that quaterback hut and dropped adams apple and blow a single quack into the call.  You should hear a deeper tone and feel the reed rattle as you quack.

Just do that.  Once you understand and feel the differance we can talk about qating of the note.

By the way....again hats off to you for posting a file.  I'll do all o can to help.  Better caller equals better call maker

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Offline Jared at Woodruff Outdoors

• New Forum Member
    • Woodruff Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »
Stump, when you say "use the word hut" are you putting any kind of voice in the call? I have been taught not to use voice, and have learned to use the word "hut" or "hush" silently and without much if any vocalization.  Just wanting to clarify.  I'm always learning new things. 

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
Jeremiah

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »
No voice boss.  But by telling you a word I'm showing you where the air comes from is all.  Just a starting point.

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 07:13:19 PM »
Better...now where is the tip of your tongue?  Should ALWAYS be at the gum line of your bottom teeth.  Never use the tip of your tongue.

Also....slow down your air.  Draw the quack out....qqquuuuaaaaaaaacccck.     You should start the quack with a throat burst....allow the air to natural come up and over your tongue.  To gate (end) the note the REAR of your tongue (where it is if you said the word cua) Comes up and stops the air.

Just for thought here.....slow hot air achieves a deeper fuller note...fast cooler air achieves a thinner higher pitched note.  If needed really draw out the quack to learn the machanics and slow the air down.  Gotta get the air presentation correct to move forward.

Stump
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 07:17:49 PM by stumpjumper »
www.rmcustomcalls.com