Author Topic: Calling questions  (Read 49785 times)

BLKDOGS

Re: Calling questions
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2015, 07:32:04 PM »
Thank you,  let me work on it for a couple day and post another sound file.

BLKDOGS

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2015, 04:20:32 PM »
A couple days of working in it! just quacks. Trying to push clean air through it.  I caught myself  fluttering?? air across my tongue  and even putting my lip together on the call. and could hear what I thought was that squeak.  See if I am heading the right direction.  Thanks again.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80097267@N06/16095369334/

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2015, 11:17:18 AM »
Yes better Ron.  Slow down a tad...one single quack then a good pause then another single quack.  Get just that down.  With each single quack your learning the basic muscle memory which will become second nature then you can do just three note stings.  But right now...single good quack....pause...single good quack.
Also step about 15 to 20 paces away from the camera....this way there is no distortion feedback and all we hear is you boss.

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2015, 12:25:11 PM »
... Slow down a tad...one single quack then a good pause then another single quack.  Get just that down.  With each single quack your learning the basic muscle memory which will become second nature then you can do just three note stings.  But right now...single good quack....pause...single good quack...

STUMP

Some of the best advise right there... for everyone learning.  Seems like its human nature to want to try and do it all and work on it all - all at the same time.  But its so important to have that one aspect of calling down because it is the basis for darn near everything else...  it deserves the total focus.  One quack at a time.  Or for goose calls... one honk at a time.  Because so much of the cadences are just quacks or honks strung together.

Also, I think something that can help with air presentation is working on long consistent notes.  Not just short ones.  The long ones give you time to find the right tongue position and then forces you to maintain the proper air... helping you learn better control and stamina.

Keep it up guys!  It wont come over night... but with practice, it will come.

Wade

www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »
Jcluesman.....I recieved the CWF that you bought second hand in the shop today.  I have no idea who you got the call from but whoever it was had no clue what he was doing!!!!!!!  The reed is way way way to short....plus it's bent and bows up....and to top it off they cut an 1/8" off the front of the cork.  Wow....bo I can't even get the thing to do a quack!!!  Trust me though, when I return her....she will be a runner for sure!!!!!!!

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2015, 01:24:25 PM »
Ha! I thought when I asked the fella he was acting kind of squirrely. He said "I can't remember if I shortened it or not, I very well could have." I practically stole it anyhow.
I can't wait to get it back, I've been practicing my quack all week.
Jeremiah

B Hoover

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2015, 02:55:01 PM »
Stump and Wade, I just had to jump in here and say thanks to the both of you for what you're doing.  That's what makes this site outstanding.  I've been following this post since the beginning and it's forced me to evaluate my own calling.  Always a good thing for all of us.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »
Ha! I thought when I asked the fella he was acting kind of squirrely. He said "I can't remember if I shortened it or not, I very well could have." I practically stole it anyhow.
I can't wait to get it back, I've been practicing my quack all week.

If that is how he attempts to tune a call....he should quit duck hunting all together.   :wacko:

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2015, 07:18:24 PM »
Just got my CWF back today Stump!  :thanks: I've practiced for a couple hours on and off and here's what I've got. .

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/jcluesman/media/20150309_190226.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0
Jeremiah

Offline m rogers

• New Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »

Mr stump could you give this a listen and see what part of it that needs work please its very random lol or anyone that has some pointers is more than welcome to chime in .Thanks
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:56:58 PM by m rogers »

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2015, 10:20:57 AM »
jcluesman,

Boss, your air is still flat.  Your not throat bursting air into the call.  Close your mouth and pop (throat burst) your throat.  Now put the call up to your mouth and do that into the call.  Trust me, when you get the air right, that call will rattle your teeth.  I ran the poo poo out of it before it left

mrogers,

Not sure what call your blowing...but it sounds as though you have the mechanics correct for the most part but the call is limiting what your getting out of it.  Call sounds tight meaning its hard to get the reed to start its oscillation and once that starts you get rattle but its on the thin side of rattle.  Make since?

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Offline m rogers

• New Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »
Yes it does and thanks for the help I'll work on it and try again.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2015, 11:32:46 AM »
Jcluesman
Im with Stumpalumpagus... air still isnt right, and its making the call sound flat.  He is also dead on, you get it right, and that call will rattle your brains.  Youll FEEL that its right... you wont even need to hear it.

Your notes are still starting out a bit gradually, which is an indication your gating or throat burst like Stump says isnt quite right yet.  Keep working on it, it WILL take time to get your muscles trained to do things the way they need to be done.

In terms of the body of the note (ignoring the beginning and end), it sounds flat, likely do to two things... but they both affect one another.  Tongue position and air volume (not pressure or speed but volume alone).  I think if you lay the back of your tongue down a little, youll find that increase in air volume, and it will help fill out the note.  It may help to separate the note into the three parts it really consists of, and focus on one at a time.  In the case of the body of the note, it doesnt matter how you start or finish... just work on the quality of the note.  Hold it out as long as you can and manipulate the sound and see what you can get it to do.  Work on the gating (throat burst) by itself.  And the end of the note by itself as well (though I find it easier to work on the body first or gating first, then body or gating, and ending the note as the last piece... because then you get more practice with the body or beginning or both, while youre practicing the end/cut off of the note.

If you listen to your file, youll hear the pitch change during the note.  The upswing at the end is coming from a tongue position and timing issue.  Sounds like the tongue is coming up too far forward causing the swing up in pitch before you stop the note with the combination of gating and tongue clocking the air.  When I stop a note, I am not only stopping the air with the middle/mid back area of my tongue, but also with my throat.  So there are two areas that air is getting shut down, and the timing is such that it almost, if not is, simultaneous.  Keep at it... sooner or later youre going to hit that note and realize we havnt been lying to you. :D  Your body is just fighting your brain :D

M rogers
What call are you blowing?  The reason I ask, is same as I think what Stump is alluding to -  You have a lot of the mechanics in place but call itself could very well be causing some of the deficiencies Im hearing...  Im not bagging on your or the call, just descriptive things I am hearing (or not hearing in some cases), that could be call or caller, or both.  If you were using a known call, that would allow one to hone in on the root of the situation more easily.  But I also understand... not everyone can just go out and buy a CWF from stump or a Volochoke or what have you.

It sounds like the presentation is basically right, both at the start and the body of the note.  The end, I can tell youre using the forward portion of your tongue, and a bit slow on cutting the air off with your throat because of the up swing in pitch at the end of the note.  I think this is you moreso than the call.

Over all - the pitch is high to me.  This could be you or the call or both.  If its you, Id say you need to add air volume and reduce the speed of the air.  Dropping the back and mid back of your tongue down a touch may do it all. (think saying "Ahhh" at the doctors but trying to make your tongue lay down far enough that the Doc doesnt need to use the Popsicle stick.)  That will drop some air speed, by increasing volume and opening up the restriction.   Also, planting the tip of your tongue below your bottom teeth may help.  I notice when I call, the tip of my tongue is not at the gum line on my bottom teeth, but well below.  Might be worth a shot as to keep the mid portion of your tongue from lifting up and causing an increase in air speed.  If its the call (ie one you make)... um... there are a lot of possibilities there, but I would start by seeing if the reed is too short or not enough back bore.

In having the pitch be high, you are lacking some rasp or rattle as Stump calls it.  That could be the call or the caller, or both.  Try a long note, and altering tongue position while keeping air flow the same.  If the call can do it, youll feel it.  To me, the "rattle" in every portion of the call is the same oscillation of the reed as is the ring in a hail.  When you ring a call, you feel it as well as hear it.  Same with rattle or rasp... Youll feel it.  If you can ring a hail note, do that, now move your tongue around taking the ring in and out...  now, reduce the air and try the same thing on a middle or low range note.

I too hear upswings in some of your notes.  Since it sounds like youre not doing it on fast notes, I think its a case of timing rather than motions.  But if the front 1/3 of your tongue is moving at the end of the note, it could be the cause.

Keep at it guys!  Being a better caller always help one be a better call maker.

And thanks a ton to Stump for this thread and all the input and all the guys willing to put it out there for people to listen to!

Wade

www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline m rogers

• New Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2015, 01:40:06 PM »
Thanks  Wade I'm sure part of it is me and I know part of that is the call it's the only one I had with me when I figured out how to post a sound file new computer lol. I Thing your right on with my tongue being to far forward at the end. I give it a try tonight and post it up. Thanks for the time guys

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2015, 04:07:53 PM »
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:40:00 PM by jcluesman »
Jeremiah