Author Topic: First attempt at a pen (and glue up, and inlay, and CA)  (Read 5404 times)

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
First attempt at a pen (and glue up, and inlay, and CA)
« on: February 15, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
As the title implies, I thought I'd go all out with my first pen.  Lot of firsts with mixed results.  The glue up was a success and the inlay gets an A (or A-).  The pen turned out nice but for some reason when I trimmed the ends they didn't square up correctly, which is very aggravating to me!  The CA made me want to pull my hair out!!  I didn't have any plastic polish or a buffing system so I just made do. 

Critiques are welcome and appreciated!
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: First attempt at a pen (and glue up, and inlay, and CA)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »
That looks great!  :bigup:
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:33:16 AM »
Looks nice!! I like the band too!!  :2up:

The only way I found to accurately square the ends everytime is with the barrel trimmer from PSI. I tried the miter saw, table saw, disc sander & even truing them on the lathe. Always came back to the trimmer.

http://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=barrel+trimmer+set
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:02:03 AM »
The only way I found to accurately square the ends everytime is with the barrel trimmer

thats what I don't understand... I used the trimmer...  :huh:

The nip and clip end are true and matched up perfect.  Its the two by the transmission that got messed up.   The only thing I can think of now looking back is that I had some CA build up on the ends and I lightly sanded it off.  Maybe I was holding it crooked and sanded more than I though.  Not sure.  Like I said, I'm please overall for my first try, but that little mess up kind of ruins it for me. 
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:04:41 AM »
Don't write off your barrel trimmer until you've made a few more pens. In most endeavors one must be willing to accept faults and failures, and learn from them, if one is to succeed. It's pretty nice for a first attempt, chalk it up as experience and get back to work on the next one and the next. One day you'll realize that you have mastered them and any early struggles will seem unimportant. Pens are crazy simple if you're already making calls, you'll be a pro in no time. Good luck!
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:40:02 AM »
Thanks, Joe. Definitely a learning experience!  Any thoughts or suggestions as to why it may not be square?  If it was the sanding at the end, do any of you have suggestions on ways to clean up excess CA without sanding?  I thought about the trimmer but was afraid it would crack. 

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:02:41 AM »
I don't normally have a problem with the ends but I would think that a careful hand holding an x-acto might yield the results you're looking for.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »
use your barrel trimmer after the ca finish just turn it by hand lightly and shave it don't cut it. make sure your tube is glued in solid when gluing push the tube through the blank and out the other side about a quarter inch and add a drop of glue there then back in. ive also seen some types of glue loosen up from the heat of the sanding and the tube may move a bit in the blank. slim line pens can be challenging but it looks great . keep it up after a dozen or so it will be second nature.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:54:54 PM »
Ryan nailed it before I got back to respond Clint!! I hold the blank at about a 45* angle & let the trimmer just rest against the end of it as I roll it between my thumb & fingers. Fine shavings will come right off & you will feel when the "burr" is gone.
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11