Author Topic: double side caller  (Read 2109 times)

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
double side caller
« on: January 24, 2015, 03:06:59 PM »
for those of you who have made double sided calls, ( not the true double siders with full size striking surfaces ) but rather the calls with a 2" hole or so that is able to play on the bottom side.  i was curious, do you use like a 2" fostner bit to drill the blank and then chuck up that with the inside grips on a 4 jaw? or do you outside grip the whole blank, and turn down your center hole on the lathe, and then re-chuck it to turn the exterior ?
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls
Re: double side caller
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 03:35:22 PM »
Here's a tutorial that I did a while back on how I do it.  http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,16917.msg127835.html#msg127835
Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter”

If I'm not arguing with you, then you are right.

(John Atkins - formerly Predhead )
http://www.purehuntingcalls.com
http://www.facebook.com/PureHuntingCustomGameCalls

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »
Everything I do revolves around the initial forstner bit cut.  That way that second side hole is perfectly centered on the call.  Jut how I like to do it.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Bill

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:02:07 AM »
Yes I use a forstner bit to drill the hole on the back side first.I then chuck it up on the lathe on a 4 jaw chuck  grabbing from inside the hole I drilled and from there I turn the pot

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:00:39 PM »
Thanks guys!
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Brad Robinson

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 08:41:11 AM »
Everything I do revolves around the initial forstner bit cut.  That way that second side hole is perfectly centered on the call.  Jut how I like to do it.
Interesting, I tore apart an old rod benson call i had and noticed there was a glass sound board spaced between the 2 strike surfaces, and in your tutorial there isnt one. Just curious if others who make the two sided calls with an additional sound board between the 2. and if it makes a noticeable difference or not. I havent explored it yet, just curious.

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 09:33:12 AM »
Interesting, I tore apart an old rod benson call i had and noticed there was a glass sound board spaced between the 2 strike surfaces, and in your tutorial there isnt one. Just curious if others who make the two sided calls with an additional sound board between the 2. and if it makes a noticeable difference or not. I havent explored it yet, just curious.

yes, I have 2 soundboards in my double sided call.  Both sides are full sided also.