Author Topic: Couple getting started questions...  (Read 6181 times)

Offline COsby

• New Forum Member
Couple getting started questions...
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »
I'm wanting to fork off of duck calls and work on some goose calls. I just have a few questions about parts to get started with..

Is it recommended to use gut inserts?
 My plan is to get some dowells and cut them at a number of different lengths, then more and a number of different diameters.
 This would also require the guts to come in and out of different barrels while I practice with sizing and dimensions.
 Can anyone recommend a user friendly one if they are recommended?

Most likely I'm going to get the shell creek or wade SR series. Just the basic. Once I get more experience I'll play with the others eventually.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Couple getting started questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:05:29 PM »
I like to use gutserts, it will be a lot stronger then wood.....

Do you have to use gutserts?     No.    You can cut a groove and wrap it with thread and Ca, it will strengthen the tennon.

I would start with the SR-1's, they have little tuning tabs on the back that basically make them impossible to mess up. After you get a little more experienced with them I would recommend getting the SR-2's, 3's, or 11's.

Hope this helps a little.....  :beer:
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »
A couple things. The gambit of guts are different sizes so when you choose your gut make sure you have a drill bit to fit the gut. Shell Creeks are all 5/8 which makes it easy. I like the gutserts myself. You can make them or buy them pre-made thats up to you. Wade may have some bits for the other guts. I just buy the other sizes of gutserts from Wade. Not sure what the dowels are for you were talking about unless you want to make your own guts. Otherwise drill a blank 5/8 turn it down to look like a exhaust and away you go. Slap a gut set in and then use 20 reeds trying to get the right sound!  :hysterical:
I like both Wades and Shell Creeks SR1's but I cut the tabs off the end, then cut the tab off the backend of the reed, do a little customwork to the tone channel in the front, then shave about 20 reeds until I find one I like.  :2:

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline COsby

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:03:05 PM »
The dowels are 1.5" poplar I'm going to use to make test measurements.

Order placed. Thanks guys. Unfortunately they won't be here til Monday. Should have pulled the trigger sooner.
Pretty excited to turn some of these!

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 11:28:28 PM »
If you have the itch before your parts show up you can build your own gutserts.  Take you calipers to a big box home improvement store and start measuring.   Lots of different things you can make them from.  I've used metal conduit (will eventually rust), plastic sprinkler riser, schedule 80 met, and a bunch of other stuff oddball stuff.  Drill a 5/8 hole through it, or ream if its close enough. Or whatever size hole you need for your guts. 
Have a short piece of acrylic laying around?   Same thing.
After the bore is right turn your step (glue surface) and then oring grooves. 
Purchased gutserts are a great way to get the same thing every time and are just easier. 
Have fun and don't be afraid to tear up a few sets of guts experimenting.
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 06:58:58 AM »
Take you calipers to a big box home improvement store and start measuring.   Lots of different things you can make them from.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I just saw myself when I read this.  I do the same thing.  There are tons of stuff to make gut-serts. Easiest for me is in this order.  1)  Buy them from Wade or Shell Creek  2)  Buy some 1"Gray PVC rod and make them.

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline CJohnston

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »
Honestly the best sounding guts I've used is Ice and shell creek Originals,  I have some Sr3 I've messed with a little. t all matters how you tune them and set them up (back boring, length etc.)
Last Pass Calls!!

Offline COsby

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »
I was able to get out to the shop for just a little bit. I'll post up some pics later. finally today I got it to where I really like the way the reed is working but now I'm working on making it louder.
I just made it out of osage as a prototype.

Bubba

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 11:00:43 PM »
I like Shell Creek guts as well, never had an issue with them and they've always sounded great.  I don't use gutserts anymore. Instead, I use copper pipe unions glued inside the tennon. can't hardly even tell they are there, the guts fit perfectly,  and the insert is basically all wood.

bsigler

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 05:56:21 AM »
what size copper,  that is a great idea

Bubba

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 01:40:00 AM »
I believe they are 1/2 inch straight unions, not the ones with the crimp in the center but the ones that go straight through.  Take a set of guts to Home Depot with you to check size but they fit great.

Offline Shannon Sparr

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 07:40:50 AM »
I believe they are 1/2 inch straight unions, not the ones with the crimp in the center but the ones that go straight through.  Take a set of guts to Home Depot with you to check size but they fit great.
I'm not trying to start an argument with my very first post, but I'm a pipe fitter by trade. The fitting you are talking about is actually called a slip on coupling or through coupling. It is designed for pipe repairs where you can't get the pipes far enough apart to get a "stop" coupling in, that's the one with the dimple. A union has two faces held together by a nut. Trust me, going into a box store with the proper terminology will get rid of a lot of confusion. Your idea is brilliant, and when I start turning calls, I will use it!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:42:37 AM by Shannon Sparr »

Bubba

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 11:55:03 PM »
Never knew the actual name of the part, just browsed around until I found what worked.  Originally went in thinking electrical conduit would work but these things are cheap and work great, and won't rust.