Author Topic: Velvit Oil for countertops  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Rick@R-Squared

• New Forum Member
Velvit Oil for countertops
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:53:23 PM »
I know many of you guys have been using Velvit oil on your calls with great success.  The better half of my house has moved new counter-tops to the top of her honey-do list and i started thinking about finishes.  I plan to do a hardwood countertop (either Pecan or Hickory) and i want to use an easily repairable finish.  Most of the tops and furniture i have done in the past i have used oils and waxes and i'm very comfortable doing the same now, but i'm intrigued by the Velvit Oil mix.  Whats your thoughts on using it as a kitchen counter-top finish.  Any pro's and con's i should consider before the gallon and a half purchase?

Thanks guys,
-Rick

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Velvit Oil for countertops
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 01:27:46 AM »
Velvit oil is a wiping varnish, I would skip it.  Make your own finish using pure tung oil and citrus solvent.  Both ingredients are natural ingredients and tung oil is FDA approved, but a pain if not diluted.  Citrus solvent is 98% citrus oils and 2% water.  Someone on THO gets pure tung oil and dilutes it for his calls, maybe he will chime in as to where and what percentages.   

What ever you use, you have to be aware of the fact you will have to refurbish the countertop every so often.  In other words wood countertops look super nice but are a life long pain in the butt to the one that has to take care of them.   Then there are the other people that visit, you and your wife won't cut on the countertop, but you can bet a guest will not think about that.  A knife slice/cut is a pain in the butt that will you will see forever, even after you fixed it.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:24:43 PM »
I was curious and did a little research this morning, here is a good read done by a cabinet top maker.
http://www.devoswoodworking.com/wood-countertop-care-maintenance/wood-countertop-finishes.html

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Rick@R-Squared

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 12:24:10 AM »
Thanks for the info Marvin, and great read on the link.  I've done pure tung oil on some of my furniture pieces but not with citrus as a thinner; thats a great idea.  The pieces I did were not for kitchen use and topped and polished them with wax.  Think I'll skip the wax on the counter tops, the future polishing would be a true pain.  I have a ton of cutting blocks and trivets that we use currently on the counters we have and it works out pretty well, but i appreciate the input on a cutting scar.  I'll put together a couple of sample boards and run some tests in the kitchen (abuse) and get a feel for what we are getting into.  I'll let you know the results i get from the tung oil.

thanks again, and if anyone else has any input on other possibilities i'd love to hear them.  Just had my curiosity up about the velvit.

-Rick