Author Topic: Sanding fluting?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline CJohnston

• New Forum Member
Sanding fluting?
« on: January 22, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »
Hell all thought I'd try to flute a  call, I was wondering how I would sand and polish the inside of the flute? Thanks!
Last Pass Calls!!

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Sanding fluting?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:18:22 PM »
I need a pic of what you have done.  I use too many methods, each based on the design of the flutes that I have added, other wise I will be typing needlessly.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline CJohnston

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »
I havent even attempted it yet. I thought about running a router off of a duplicator set up. I didnt want to start fluting and find out I cant sand and polish it lol
Last Pass Calls!!

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:24:59 PM »
A dowel slightly smaller diameter than the flute wrapped in sandpaper should do the trick.

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »
Ditto what Aaron said.  I use a dowel a little smaller than the cut in flute.  The only thing I need to add is that I start with a heavier grit and work my way through the smaller grits.  I start with 100 and end up with 400.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 06:28:15 PM »
i do the same with the smaller dowel and sand paper but i put the dowel in a battery drill and hold the call in my hand and go at it . it dont take much. the tricky part is a CA finished fluted call you will have a lot of time in it . then you wont get rid of it  :hysterical:

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 11:42:22 PM »
You can buy these in grits through 400 and in sizes from 1/8" diameter to several inches. 

I don't use them in a power unit, the bands are mounted on a mandrel that is stuck in the end of a handle.  Make you handles comfortable, it takes time to do the sanding.  If you try a power unit it has be slow RPM or you won't get as smooth flutes as you can by hand. 

I cut my flutes, then I have a wood handle that these fit on.  I have one for each grit and I can go around an entire call, then pick up the next one and keep going until I am finished.  I also cut my flutes so that they come out of the wood, not a dead stop leaving the end rounded it slopes up.  Lot easier to sand them that way.   For each grit I run the sanding band from top to bottom in a smooth sliding motion, kind of twisting it as I push it in the flute.  An adjustable Panavise and holder helps or you can hold the call in your hand.   Find a pic of BigB's checkering cradle that is better than trying to hold it. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.