Author Topic: My First Bowl  (Read 6515 times)

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
My First Bowl
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:32:46 PM »
After talking to David@Mad Duck Game Calls I just had to try my hand at a bowl.... Now I'm HOOKED!!  :bigup:

There are a few problems with the finished product but for the first go-round, I think it turned out alright.  I probably rushed a little and didn't spend enough time on sanding.  Also didn't inspect close enough and left a few turning lines.  I didn't have a bowl gouge so I just worked very carefully with a spindle gouge and a oval nosed type scraper my grandpa hand made some time ago.  Made it for my wife as a jewelry bowl with the center portion being for rings.  Wood is Myrtle with a Cocobolo pull on top.  (Sorry for the cell phone pics)

Critiques are welcome!!

"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: My First Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 05:47:31 PM »
 :bigup: Its addicting!
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 05:51:45 PM »
Wow!  Very impressive!  What's the size of the bowl?  I've been wanting to try my hand at bowls but when I see a chunk of wood I always think about how many calls I could get out of it...

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:47:52 PM »
Looks great! 

I'd get a bowl gouge.  My experience with bowls is limited but from what I understand a spindle gouge does not have enough tang in the handle and can break. 

I agree bowls are addicting.  I turned a dozen over the summer.  I've gotten bit by the turning bug quite bad. 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:59:06 PM »
I've never had a spindle gouge break turning them so not sure where you heard that? But then again I only used a spindle gouge for my first 2 or 3. I have all kinds of bowl stuff now. 3/8 and 5/8 Bowl gouge. Cole jaws. Big lathe. Nova titan chuck with massive jaws. Drill sanding stuff. Finishes. Etc, etc, etc. LOL it never ends!!!!!!! I want the out board tool rest for my lathe! a 29" bowl should be fun don't ya think?  :whistling: Before you know it you'll have all kinds of tools!  :yes:
David

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »
Nice bowl I like the shape and the lid looks great. 

There are two things about the spindle gouge that you should know and that is the tang is to short and the flute is not as strong as a bowl gouge, well three things. The bevel is much different too. It will only take one bad catch to show you why. I had the flute of a cheap spindle gouge bend and a friend of mine ripped the tang though the side of the handle, he said fling flutes are scary. Doing bowls you don't always have the tool rest as close to your work so the flute is built heavier and the handle is longer. The tang goes into the much farther to take more strain. The bevel of the tool is as important as the teethe on saw blades, one is better at crosscut and one for ripping.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:51:47 PM by Wane »
Wane

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 12:15:09 AM »
Bowl gouges and spindle gouges are different, as already stated using a spindle gouge can lead to disaster,  A spindle gouge should not be used as a bowl gouge.  If you plan on turning bowls, buy a bowl gouge, a good name brand and start small at 3/8" bowl gouge.  People have spent time in the hospital because of ignorance on the lathe, don't be the next one.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 04:19:23 AM »
That's a nice looking turning that someone is gonna be happy to get!! Well done!!
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 07:28:47 AM »
Critiques are not applicable. Accolades are forthcoming. That is an extremely nice piece of work. Love that Myrtle wood for sure!

Very well done!

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 09:16:44 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone!!  Especially about the differences.  I was under the impression that the difference was in the grind.  The rest of what you both said makes a lot of sense.  I definitely fit into the category below!
People have spent time in the hospital because of ignorance on the lathe, don't be the next one.

Do they make dedicated bowl scrapers also? 

Thanks also for the compliments!  Being new to woodturning every project is a learning experience!
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »
Yep, they do. Its a really thick and wide scraper with the grind on one side, it is a very flat grind too, I guess so it doesn't catch as easily.
David

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
They are discussing scrapers on Sawmill Creek, a lot of good info over there.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.