Author Topic: First glue-up attempt  (Read 10998 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: First glue-up attempt
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 11:20:56 PM »
Now we know why there is a world wide shortage of clamps, gooseforsupper bought them all. 

I tried that new Elmers last week, I also like it. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 09:26:49 AM »
Now we know why there is a world wide shortage of clamps, gooseforsupper bought them all. 

I tried that new Elmers last week, I also like it. 

Marvin

LOL!
Actually we have cleaned Woodcraft out of clamps occasionally.  Since my wife is a woodworker too, we both are working on separate projects and sometimes we both need the same size clamps at the same time.  "You used all the small clamps!"   :taz: I would regret hearing that. :stickman1:  Happy wife, happy life.  Every time they put clamps on sale I always buy a couple more, so we probably have over a hundred now, from tiny ones up to 8 foot Bessey's.  I'm glad I stocked up on Bessy's when they were relatively cheap. 

Doug

Offline DanHamra

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »
Gooseforsupper - I see in your pic, and read in your tutorial that you "line" the end grains up. So my question is how do you do this, I mean, what is it that you look for to line up. Obviously you can only line up one grain line on each piece other since they are separate pieces of wood with different grain patterns, right? I see your drawn on lines, but I'm not sure I understand what exactly you look for and try to line up. Can you explain a bit please?

Do you ever glue up more than one joint at a time, or always keep it to a single glue joint at a time? When I did mine I glued the 3 veneers up, and then stuck on the two caps on so I have 2 glue joints each time I glued.
Also, is your standard practice to drill prior, or after gluing?

I'm working on a Black & white ebony/ABW right now ill post up in a day or so. I love the look of the black and white ebony grain! :bigup:
Thanks!!!

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:37 PM »
Gooseforsupper - I see in your pic, and read in your tutorial that you "line" the end grains up. So my question is how do you do this, I mean, what is it that you look for to line up. Obviously you can only line up one grain line on each piece other since they are separate pieces of wood with different grain patterns, right? I see your drawn on lines, but I'm not sure I understand what exactly you look for and try to line up. Can you explain a bit please?

Do you ever glue up more than one joint at a time, or always keep it to a single glue joint at a time? When I did mine I glued the 3 veneers up, and then stuck on the two caps on so I have 2 glue joints each time I glued.
Also, is your standard practice to drill prior, or after gluing?

I'm working on a Black & white ebony/ABW right now ill post up in a day or so. I love the look of the black and white ebony grain! :bigup:
Thanks!!!

I'll try and explain a little better so you can visualize it.  I drill my pieces before I glue them together and then do one joint at a time.  Other people glue then drill it all at once.  There is no best way, just what you are comfortable with.  I like to concentrate on each joint so I know it's right on the money and lined up perfectly.  The way I line up the grain is to look at the end grain of the piece, you will see the growth rings in the wood.  Notice which way the grown rings curve and get all the segments so they curve the same way. Then I take a straightedge and mark across the growth rings at 90 degrees right through the center of the blank.  I mark on both sides where the lines ends up.

I use an undersized, waxed steel rod through the center hole to line up the two segments when gluing.  That way I have the center dialed in and can line up the lines on the sides.  That way I know the growth rings are all going the same direction.

Take note, grain also goes in a certain direction on the side of the blank in addition to just lining up the growth rings.  I try and figure that part out and line them up when I am cutting and laying out the way the blank is going to go together, before drilling each piece.  I hope that makes sense, but it will come to you as you play with more and more wood.  I have some beautiful calls that I made where the grain is wrong and it still bugs me. 

Black and white ebony is great stuff, can't wait to see what you come up with!  :beer:

Doug
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:56:59 PM by gooseforsupper »

Offline CJohnston

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 05:39:01 PM »
How does one line up the grain?
Last Pass Calls!!

Offline DanHamra

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »
Okay I got what your saying now. So you are essentially lining up the growth rings so that they are the same (inner to outer ring) from piece to piece.
I really appreciate the advice. Hopefully ill have stronger pieces because of it!

Offline DanHamra

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 04:13:52 PM »
So heres the black & white ebony call with ABW caps. Its just a bought insert  :whistling:, as I have been working on, but don't have it down yet on the toneboards. I could turn one (an ABW insert w/ B&W exhaust would look great) and stick it in there as a just for show thing, but to make it sounds good it still needs a stuffed insert  :stuart:

let me know if you like it... dipped finish (call coat)

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 04:20:43 PM »
Me likey!
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 07:08:28 PM »
Looks nice to me.  :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline COsby

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »
That's awesome Dan. If these are your first I can't wait to see them once you get a lot of experience under your belt. I've been struggling with multiple materials but I'm getting a handle on it.

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 08:30:49 PM »
great job did you use a tenon on that one or straight glue up

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 06:25:43 AM »
Sure looks like a keeper to me too!! Nice call you got there!!  :up1:
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline DanHamra

• New Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 11:09:42 AM »
great job did you use a tenon on that one or straight glue up

On that one I did a tenon on each cap. I tried to keep it so the tenon stayed completely hidden.

I have two others in process right now. One is a tenon, the other is an angle glue up with no tenon. They both should be done in a day and then about 3 days. I have another I will post up now that came out absolutely stunning (I think). It is the first one I am giving to someone of course  :hysterical: .... I am giving it to my cousin though, so I will get to watch it throughout its life and see how it holds up.  I think this is my favorite one yet, its CA finish... sorry i'm using a phone for a camera

And here's a few of the others - two you've already seen

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »
Now THAT is AWESOME looking! I have just recently started thinking about some crazy glue UPS. I am going to have to do it now.  :yes:
David
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline CJohnston

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 06:25:43 PM »
In the first picture it appears to be maple and what?
Last Pass Calls!!