Author Topic: Save the legs!  (Read 751 times)

Offline B Hoover

• Custom Call Maker
Save the legs!
« on: January 19, 2015, 12:51:27 AM »
It's a sad thing, but I hear more and more waterfowlers say "we just breast 'em".  I realize saving all of the meat from the birds is work and the tendons in the legs can be a hassle.  While it's not only illegal and unethical IMO, they are missing out on some of the best meat.  If I hear of someone throwing the legs away I usually offer to help them clean birds in exchange for the legs.  I'll get off my soapbox now.  Here are a couple of recipes to entice you to save those legs.

PULLED GOOSE LEGS

20     Goose legs
1 gal  Apple juice, 2 cups reserved for spray bottle

Rub:
8 T     Light brown sugar
3 T     Kosher salt
1 T     Chili powder
1 T     Paprika
1 T     Combination of the following:
          Fresh-cracked black pepper
          Cayenne pepper
          White pepper
          Red pepper flake
          Dried basil (ground)
          Onion powder

Place legs in a large container, cover with apple juice and place in refrigerator for 48 hours.  Drain juice from container and generously work half of the rub into the legs.  Place back in fridge for at least 8 hours (overnight if possible).  Remove from refrigerator and apply remaining rub.

Place goose in smoker set at 225 degrees with apple, cherry or pear wood.  Put reserved apple juice in spray bottle and set to "mist".  Turn and spray the goose every 20 minutes.  The meat should look wet after spraying, but be careful not to remove rub.  Smoke until meat reaches 140 degrees internally.  Remove legs from smoker and double-wrap in heavy tin foil.  Place back in smoker or an oven set at 225 degrees until the meat reaches approximately 200 degrees internally (I know this sounds high, but trust me).

Remove from smoker/oven, but DO NOT OPEN THE FOIL.  Let the meat rest in enclosed foil for 2 hours.  This allows the meat to absorb some of the juices.  After 2 hours, open foil and shred the meat with forks.  Save the remaining juice in foil and freeze for later use or pour into baked beans (gives them an awesome smoky flavor).

Serve on buns with bbq sauce and side of baked beans.  Several people have told me they loved the pulled pork and came back for seconds and thirds.  The same people who stated they would eat wild game "when pigs fly".  Gives a whole new meaning to that phrase.

DUCK CONFIT'

20     Duck legs
2 C    Rendered duck fat
3 T    Kosher salt
1 tsp Ground sage
1 tsp Dried basil (ground)
1 tsp Fresh-cracked black pepper
10    Garlic cloves
1 lg   Yellow onion, sliced

To render the duck fat:  Save skin and fat from several ducks.  Place in stock pot with 1/2 cup water and simmer for 1 hour.  Strain fat through colander.

Layer the duck legs in a large container, sprinkling each layer with salt, sage, basil and pepper mixture.  Place in refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.  Remove from fridge and brush off seasoning.  Preheat oven to 225 degrees.  Place rendered duck fat in saucepan and simmer.  Place duck legs in a baking dish with garlic cloves and onion.  Pour duck fat over legs, cover with foil and place in oven for 4 hours or until the meat falls from the bone.

Serve as appetizers (shredded on crackers with cream cheese) or as a main dish with garlic mashed potatoes.

Enjoy!
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men  Col 3:23