Author Topic: Caliber bullet used  (Read 2490 times)

wrangler2

Caliber bullet used
« on: January 10, 2009, 08:34:23 PM »
I have noticed on several trumpet calls using bullets as a collar to hold the mouth piece.  What caliber is used?  I am wanting to make a trumpet call and just like that look.

thanks

Mike

Offline West Augusta

• New Forum Member
Re: Caliber bullet used
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:15:59 AM »
I like that look as well.  I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the makers probably use what they hunt with.  I would think it would be a common large or medium caliber, like a 30.06

Blackfalcon

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:01:35 PM »
You would want to choose a cartridge that would fit your mouthpiece material,measure that and then choose a caliber based on that measurement
Dave

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 06:50:16 PM »
If my memory serves me right the 25/06 works with a 1/4" dia mouthpiece. I know the 30/06 is larger than 1/4". So turn your mouth piece to fit the dia of the casing you choose! :2up:

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

wrangler2

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »
Thanks guys.  That is why I love this site.  I had someone give me some .243's but they are obviously too small.  I will have to go out and shoot my new 30-06. 

thanks again

Mike

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 11:28:44 PM »
Dang, that's a shame that you are going to HAVE to go out and do some range time. Darn it anyway.  :rofl:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

wrangler2

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »
Yeah.  The sacrifices I will make to make a call.  Life is tough.  Now if I could only quit my job to make calls full time.  Wonder if I can ask the government for one of those bailout checks.  Just tell them, I must quit to make calls, several people relying on me for there recreational fixes.  Boosting morale will boost the economy.  Just a thought.
Besides I would like to be one of those guys that hunts for a living.  What a life.