Author Topic: ... speaking of Delrin  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
... speaking of Delrin
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:49:59 AM »
I never have seen this or heard of this but here it goes.  I was "wondering" to myself for an idea to do something different.  IF you were to take natural or white Delrin and turn a call from it... let's say a duck call barrel. Do the necessary polishing, fitting, etc... then take the Delrin barrel and soak it in a colored dye for a while, do you think there would be enough penetration from the dye to keep the color stained into it?  Delrin has been described many ways on here but mostly referred to as a rubber?  This being the case, there would be some sort of penatrability in the Delrin?  I'm going to try it when I get home. If someone tries it sooner, please let me know. I am curious to see if it will work. If it does work, I can envision some drab green calls in my future made of Delrin?  Just thinking out loud here.  Nothing else to do in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba :yawn:

Jeff

Mutt Game Calls
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: ... speaking of Delrin
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »
I really doubt it accept a dye. If you look up the properties of Delrin it was invented with the Medical field in mind because it is very Non- Porous. Drug industries and Hospitals use it because it does not retain or absorb the fluid that is passed through it. It is a Dupont material and in their research they go into the amount of absorption the material retains in their test and it is not much thats why the Medical industries use it. That's all I know,

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Wes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:14:06 AM »
I agree with Larry . it may bet just a bit on the outside but it will not stay on itfor very long, just a bit of rubbing would take it right off.
Wes
There is a fine line between hobby  and mental illness .

Offline RangerRick

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »
I agree  with these Guys.
If you want to do somthing like that ya might want to go to McMaster-Carr and buy Nylon.They also sell most plastic known to man. Nylon isTurnable and will take Rit Dye nice. Nylon Ive Dyed worked great ,just heat the liquid up.

Amerflyer48

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:20:33 PM »
Now if you wanted to do some engraved calls...I have seen Delrin scratched and then graphite or colored powder used to get a scrimshaw type effect, which is interesting to look at but not sure how it would last on a call..

John