Author Topic: expanding mandrel  (Read 11415 times)

Offline rodney gillikin

• New Forum Member
Re: expanding mandrel
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 11:46:59 AM »
scott, can you show me a picture of your set up with a turkey pot on it?
Pure T Momicked Game Calls

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »
scott, can you show me a picture of your set up with a turkey pot on it?

not a problem.  I get off work at 3pm central.  Be around 4 or so.  I don't use the shopsmith to make my calls, but I'll show how you can.

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 06:03:58 PM »
Wade, this is the arbor on a shop smith. everything locks onto it via a set screw.  Fast and easy.  You can see a flat spot on the shaft.  It is tapered to the drive side, so when the screw is tightened, it locks it on.  Never had an issue with any attachment coming loose.

Rodney.  You should have gotten a mounting plate with your SS.  This is what it looks like.  This is just one way of mounting.  I had mine modified.  A machine shop installed 1/4 x 24 threads in the center, so I use a bolt instead of screws now.  lots faster.  I only use this to clean up and put my edge on.  I use a standard whole saw to cut my blanks.  First pic is one mounted with screws.

This is a pic of one mounted with the center bolt and spacer.  Space allows me to dress the inside corner better.

This is one mounted using a 4 jaw chuck.  I suspect most on here who do turkey calls, do it this way.  I donot.  I use a router.  After I do my edge, like the above photos, I'm done with the SS, and it moves to my router where I machine out the guts.

These are the chisels I was talking about.  OEM SS chisels.  Barely used.  I have no use for them.  I use only carbide now.
Like I said before, you pay shipping, and they are yours. 

If I can be of anymore help, just ask.  Be glad to share with ya.  Others on here who are more experienced than I am, will chime in and help too.
I certainly am no expert.
Your in the right place to get help.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:06:55 PM by Scott Ashburn »

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 06:35:43 PM »
My question wasnt so much about the spindle side... I knew it (the spindle side) was just a shaft and flat... it was how the adapter from the drill chuck to the spindle socket (not shaft) were connected.  All the pics Ive ever seen were from an angle where you couldnt tell how it was assembled.

Appears from your pic, that the socket is integral to the drill chuck (as compared to a standard drill chuck with a JT mount (jacobs taper) where the socket would be 5/8 female and then have a JT male that fit the drill chuck.  Being an integral mount instead of the taper (which it appears to be) eliminates the worry of the chuck coming off of the shaft socket.  Which in the end is the primary concern I was speaking of.

I wouldnt be surprised - after seeing your pic,  that it was an intentional thing on the Shopsmiths side... intending the chuck to be used for various things... and that being the case maybe even has taken into account in its design, something that does allow for or better withstands radial forces.  Very much unlike the standard drill chuck with a JT mount.  Im with you, after seeing the back end of the chuck... wouldnt be worried about it coming off unless the set screw loosened.

That being said, Id think the best move for the OP would be to see if a 5/8 drill chuck were available from SS and get that... if for no other reason than to use the standard 5/8 shank mandrels.  Of course, providing budget allows for that, and he is going to stick with call making for a little while. :D

Cheers
Wade

www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline rodney gillikin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 08:28:08 PM »
scott
thanks for picture I got one of those flat plate things, and yes I want the tools ,if you don't mind hold on to them untell after Christmas and ill get back up with you , picture where great . thanks again :bow:

Offline rodney gillikin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 09:07:30 AM »
scott ashburn ,
sent a message to you regarding the tools . let me know .thanks :thanks:

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 09:23:09 AM »
Rodney, take a look at the NC Turn a Thon thread. Give some consideration to coming that weekend.  I know exactly where Bettie is and it's not that far of a drive over to Beaulaville. I have a good friend that lives on Harkers Island! All your answers (and more) to this thread can be explained, demonstrated, taught, and advised in great length coupled with "hands-on" help. If you can make it, you really could do yourself a world of good by coming that weekend.  We'd love to have you!

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline rodney gillikin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »
if I don't have to work I like to come when and date :bigup:

Offline rodney gillikin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 01:39:57 PM »
scott,
 want do you use on the other end if you are use one of those expanding mandrels :thanks: for the shop smith? and do you have a picture of it?:thanks:

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 07:43:07 PM »
scott,
 want do you use on the other end if you are use one of those expanding mandrels :thanks: for the shop smith? and do you have a picture of it?:thanks:

Offline rodney gillikin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 08:44:19 PM »
were did you get that at?

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 09:29:31 PM »
Came with the SS.  I bought a 2nd one off ebay for my MT2 chuck.  You can buy alot of SS stuff on ebay and amazon dirt cheap.  Another reason I like SS.  Lots of assesories! (Sp)