Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 5266 times)

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Need some help
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »
Ok. I have recently been building goose calls. I have high pitch calls, low pitch calls, loud calls and.... NOT softer calls. My question is how do I get a "quieter" call for up close birds? I want something that's easy to blow and doesn't blow the birds away when used. I have some SR1 guts that are quieter and easier to blow but they don't sound the way I want.

I think I would need to use a softer wood, like Cedar for it. And I think I need a shaved reed. Will that get me an easy to blow, up close call? If shaving is what I need, how do I go about doing that? I have researched through the forum but I cannot find anything...

Thanks for any help!
 :deer:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:59:37 AM by David @ Mad Duck Game Calls »
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
Re: Nees some help
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:19:26 PM »
I've made some soft guts from wood and make your keg longer than usual

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:46:39 AM »
What I have found is going to the longer exhaust gives me a bit of a unwanted note at the end of break. Try a Echo gut. It is smaller diameter and is much softer sound. You don't have to run as much air through it as Wades Sr1 or Shell Creeks Sc1. I may have some extras and a guts set to fit it if you want to give it a go. Let me know I can pop it in the mail to you.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:31:10 AM »
As far as shaving a reed, basically start at the edge of the wedge and shave a little off at a time from the part of the reed thats showing.  I make all my calls to same dimensions now and found that maple gave me the softest sounding call yet.  Shaving the reed will def make it easier to blow tho!

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »
Larry, thanks for the offer! I think I will try a few different things first and if they don't work I'll PM you!

I think I am going to try shaving the reed on one I have and see what that does....

Thanks for the help!!
David

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
Re: Need some help
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 09:00:29 PM »
I guess I'm just and oddball,  :stuart: but I sand my reeds instead of shaving them.  400 grit, a little bit at a time lengthwise.  Then I touch up any rough edges.  I also bend the tip of the reed slightly right at the very tip, after I sand.  Works for me!

:bigup:

Offline Andrew of HaddenHailers

• New Forum Member
    • HaddenHailers Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:02:27 PM »
Goose nothing odd about what you do sir! Same basic steps I use!

Andrew

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:05:06 PM »
Doug, I actually just did that!!!!! I used 220 grit (may have been to rough) and I got my call blowing a lot easier. I like it a lot. I;m going to have to take some pictures here soon. I've got like 6 calls sitting around the house that I need to take pictures of.  :stuart:
Thanks!
David

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »
A quiet call and easy to blow? Here is some food for thought. A call should be loud, quiet, and easy to blow all in one. Now, easy to blow is very relative. Is it easy to a comp caller? Even poorly made calls sound good in the hands of a good caller. Previous advise about shaving is part of the answer. And yes, sand paper or razor blade, same result. I sometimes use both on the same reed. The other part of the answer is to make sure you are tuning the call correctly. If you do not have experience with this, then hit up Youtube. Plenty of monkeys on there tuning calls. Then destroy about 50 reeds or so. :hysterical: And still another part of the answer is to try different guts in your call design. Internal dimensions of the barrel greatly effect how easily a call is played. Some guts work well with some dimensions and not so well with others. I have two different call barrels and they play different kinds of guts better or worse than the other. This is a longer process with experimentation, much like duck call tone boards.

Now, the soft or quiet question. Wood typically carries a softer tone than plastics. However, you can get wood pretty dang loud. Also, in the hands of an experienced caller acrylic/plastic can be quiet and soft. No right or wrong answer I suppose, but if someone were to ask me about a good material for a soft and mellow goose call. I would say olive wood. I have heard mixed feelings on this stuff, but some of the sweetest and mellowest calls I have made were from olive wood. It has a very rich tone to it. 

I hope this helps a little and doesn't confuse the issue too much.
Chris Wright

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
Well I guess I really don't know what I want. Lol. What I said in the first post wasn't really correct. My calls do get quiet, I was really just wanting it to be easier to blow. Man I'm confusing!   :stuart: I shaved the reed (sanded) on a set of Sr2's, it doesn't take much air to blow now and its alot easier to get "quiet". I'm pretty good at tuning them, heck I even got it perfect on the first try yesterday!  :clap: Thanks for the help!!
David

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »
^^^^ Everything he said for sure!  A good caller can do anything with the same call.  I should have said that in my post too.  And I agree some woods can get very loud (I found Coco with my dimensions is very loud!) and some are softer (That call I made with maple lumber is very mellow as well compared to acrylic).  Shaving the reed will make it easier to blow and glad to hear you found what you liked with the reed! 

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »
You know, all of the calls I have made so far and I haven't really noticed a difference in sound with different woods. Walnut is the only one so far, it seems a bit more "mellow". I guess stabilized burls, cocobolo and hedge aren't going to sound all that different.  :hysterical: I'll have to get some pics up. Thanks for the help!!!!
David

bloodbrothercalls

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 05:27:49 AM »
Flip the reed around so the bow of the reed goes up instead of down, it will be much easier to blow and sound softer, but you will loose range and volume. You may have to tune it with the wedge further back than normal.

Ross

Offline CJohnston

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 06:17:53 PM »
Older post, but I've noticed that not flaring the insert as much keep the sound down a little, but can muffle it too
Last Pass Calls!!