Author Topic: clear acrylic question  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Greg at PTDO Game Calls

• New Forum Member
clear acrylic question
« on: December 08, 2014, 10:37:02 PM »
I'm just starting to get into acrylic and I just got a 2 foot stick for free at work tonight. The problem for me is that it is clear. How would one go about polishing clear without a mini torch?

Aaron Vice

Re: clear acrylic question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 10:50:39 PM »
Plastic polish and time. Check the tutorials. Pretty sure there's one on just that

Offline Greg at PTDO Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 11:02:30 PM »
Thanks Aaron not sure how I missed that one.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 07:19:29 AM »
Sand, sand, and sand some more. With lots of water. I go up to 2000 then plastic polish. Drill slow as possible. If you get any melting with the drill bit you will not sand it out.

August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:30:06 AM »
I'm not a great source for info on polishing acrylic. Be aware that when you polish a bore, you will be enlarging said bore each time you sand and polish. It can/will get to a point that an insert may lose it's fit due to the enlarging.  It is definately a craft and talent for those that nail the clear acrylic finish.  Clear acrylic is fine to learn on due to it being inexpensive and in your case, free!  You can get a good feel for polishing the outside of a call and transfer that learning to the bore. To save money, try to get proficient with the clear prior to moving over to colors. However, if you go with opaque colors, you dont have to worry about the bore finish nearly as much as with transluscent/clear.

Good luck and try not to get aggrivated. Acrylic can be nerve racking just starting out.

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

ben

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »
Finish your barrel and then fit the insert to it.

ben