Author Topic: .012 Mylar  (Read 5396 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
.012 Mylar
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »
This company says hey have the .012 Mylar.

http://www.norwesco.ab.ca/products/sheet-rubber/polyester-shim-mylar/

Polyester Shim (Mylar) is an extremely strong, flexible, and durable plastic suitable for many industrial applications. Polyester Shim is inert to water, and acts as a moisture barrier, as well as being resistant to oils, greases, and most aromatics, with a temperature range of -75C – 150C. Since its manufactured without plasticizers, it will not become brittle, or yellow with age. Norwesco stocks 40″ wide x 250 Ft. rolls of polyester shim with colors and thicknesses of .002 (red), .003 (green), .004 (tan), .005 (blue), .0075 (transmat), .010 (brown), .012 (black), .014 (natural), .015 (pink), and .020 (yellow). Wether its bulk sheet, or custom cut shims, Norwesco is able to fill your order, often same day.

Will this work, I don't know.  First we need someone to test the waters as to whether it will work. 

The rest of the bad news.  Their location is Canada and it appears  be a large corporation, so small orders may not be an option.  They may require a minimum order amount.  Will they ship to USA. again I don't know.  Anyone with a Canadian contact that might be willing to attempt an order?  If they do ship stateside, could we possibly get a group order together and make a large order, one that will keep most of us in .012 Mylar for a very long time. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Kevin @ Harvester Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
Re: .012 Mylar
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 11:14:21 PM »
Thanks guys I sent out the inquiry to these companies and I'll let you know what the response is, if I get one. I am definitely in if it's feasible. Anyone else?
Kevin

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
Good luck, I will be interested in the .012 and maybe the .007 and the .014 not for ducks but I wonder how the 12 and 14 will work for wolf howlers.  If my memory is correct Rich Cronk used the .014 for his wolf howlers and someone else, but the name escapes me right now. 

For anyone that wants to make the teal squealers toneboard I think the .007 might be the ticket you are looking for.  Those that make closed reed predator calls with your own toneboard, you will want the .007.

Marvin 
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 11:55:43 PM »
Marvin I have a whole roll of .007. PM me your address and I will cut off a chunk and send you some
Kevin

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 09:52:17 AM »
This company says hey have the .012 Mylar.

http://www.norwesco.ab.ca/products/sheet-rubber/polyester-shim-mylar/

Polyester Shim (Mylar) is an extremely strong, flexible, and durable plastic suitable for many industrial applications. Polyester Shim is inert to water, and acts as a moisture barrier, as well as being resistant to oils, greases, and most aromatics, with a temperature range of -75C – 150C. Since its manufactured without plasticizers, it will not become brittle, or yellow with age. Norwesco stocks 40″ wide x 250 Ft. rolls of polyester shim with colors and thicknesses of .002 (red), .003 (green), .004 (tan), .005 (blue), .0075 (transmat), .010 (brown), .012 (black), .014 (natural), .015 (pink), and .020 (yellow). Wether its bulk sheet, or custom cut shims, Norwesco is able to fill your order, often same day.

Will this work, I don't know.  First we need someone to test the waters as to whether it will work. 

The rest of the bad news.  Their location is Canada and it appears  be a large corporation, so small orders may not be an option.  They may require a minimum order amount.  Will they ship to USA. again I don't know.  Anyone with a Canadian contact that might be willing to attempt an order?  If they do ship stateside, could we possibly get a group order together and make a large order, one that will keep most of us in .012 Mylar for a very long time. 

Marvin
In the description Marvin it says flexible mylar so it would not work for reeds.  They do however carry a cork neoprene/nitrile blend less than 1/4" thick and might have 5/32" or 4 mil which I've been looking for.  Yup, its the extra duty cost and minimum orders that will kill the deal for us some quantity folks.  Nevertheless thanks for the lead.
Joe
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
Response:

Afternoon Kevin,

We do not carry a .012” Mylar.

Which paragraph from or website were you referring to as I don’t see anything attached.

We do carry a polyester shim material though it is colored and doesn’t come in black.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions you may have.
Kevin

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 07:38:09 PM »
You should be able to get it here

Norrell Plastics Phone: 901-363-3496

Al @ THO

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »
I have some. 008 and 014 that has been floating around my shop for a while.  I took some to the turnathon last year. 
We use it in the print industry, fountain liners are. 008 and doctor blades are. 014.  We switched suppliers and I've been given free reign of the old stuff.
Marvin, Joe, Kevin, Al, if you guys want to try some for howlers or teal calls pm me an address and I will drop some in the mail for you to try.  (Callen too)

About halfway down this page you'll see the Mylar doctor blades, I have some of the. 014. http://www.allisonblades.com/Plastic-Blades.html

Here's a link to fountain liners.  http://www.americanprintingequipment.com/inkfountainliners.aspx
(Can't find it listed but they measure. 0075-.008 ( my calipers are old)

These aren't links to the specific products i have, but they are for the same machine so it should be close.  I just assume most people aren't familiar with printing jargon.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:29:30 PM by Jon @ JRwoods »
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain