Author Topic: Duck over rice  (Read 1328 times)

Online BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Duck over rice
« on: December 06, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
I've never really enjoyed eating duck, until I was told about a fantastic marinade prep that really makes duck taste great. Ron Gould and I got to hunt with Ronnie Turner last year down in Arkansas, and Ronnie showed us a great way to cook up the duck meat. And he's the one that introduced me to Allegro, the best marinade I've ever found for duck meat.

Here's my version of how I cook the duck.

I breast out the duck, and rinse all blood from it I can.  I put the breast meat in a Tupperware dish, cover the meat in water, and repeat a few times over 5 minutes to where the water doesn't get so red. On the last time I fill and cover the meat, I'll sprinkle in some table salt to help pull out more blood. I'll then put it in the fridge overnight.

A half hour before I am ready to cook the meat, I'll cut the breast meat into 3/16" thick slices. Once it is sliced up, I'll put them in a zip lock or another Tupperware and put in about 1/3rd of the bottle of Allegro to cover the meat.

I let the meat marinade for 20-30 minutes. This is a very salty marinade, so don't let it soak for longer than 30 minutes, and it won't turn out salty.

While the meat is marinating, I get some sliced mushrooms going in a little sauce pan. As well as some rice in another sauce pan.

To cook the meat, I get a skillet with a half stick of butter, some canola oil, and sprinkle in some garlic salt. I get the skillet warm on a meduim/low heat. A heat level of 4 is good, if 10 is the hottest.

You will want to cook the meat to meduim rare. It doesn't take long. When the red juice starts to come from the meat, then it's time to flip over. Meduim rare is when the you press on the meat, and it still feels squishy. If you press on the meat, and it's not squishy like jerky, then you have over cooked it and it'll taste like liver.

When the meat is cooked, I lightly sprinkle on some more garlic salt.

Serve the meat and mushrooms over rice, and enjoy!  3 mallard breasts will serve me, my wife, and my 2yo daughter. It's really good, and my picky eating daughter asks for 2nds every time I make it.

I actually enjoy eating duck now.  I used to dread eating them after going hunting, but not any more. I've tried this recipe with chicken too, and I actually prefer the way the duck tastes over the chicken. But the key is to not over cook the duck. The meat has to be a little pink to red in the middle. If it is brown all the way through, then it is over cooked.

You can find the Allegro marinade in most grocery stores and in walmart. It's in the marinade section, even though it's a lot like soy sauce.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Henry H

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
Re: Duck over rice
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:23:57 PM »
Looks yummy, B, thanks!

My favorite way to eat duck is in gumbo, if you can make a good roux.  Ideally pluck it (all birds are better plucked than breasted).  I usually cut down each side of the backbone so I can remove head, ass, and guts all in one pull and be left with breast on the breast bone.  Brown lightly, then add to the gumbo when you'd normally add the chicken and cook until it is ready to fall off the bone.

Offline James Strickland

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
That looks good, Brian!

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:36:13 AM »
Looks like a heck of a recipe for wild turkey too!
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Online BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »

Vince, I've tried it with wild turkey, and it is good, but you really have to watch out on the time you leave the meat in the marinade. The white meats soak up that salt quickly and it turns it into a salty dish rather quickly.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 11:30:45 PM »
Ok. Thanks for the heads up.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls