Author Topic: crow gut lock up  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
crow gut lock up
« on: December 02, 2014, 06:25:52 PM »
im doing a call for the nwtf contest and my crow guts are locking up when alot of air preasure is applied . sounds good at low pressure. im wondering if i have to open up the mouth piece more.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: crow gut lock up
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 11:14:07 PM »
Your guts or molded guts?  Without pics it's hard to tell what the problem is. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:15:36 AM »
my own guts ill put pictures up after work. i think i figured it out one side was a little closer to the reed than the other side . adjusting that did help some

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »
On the few crow guts I made I found that if they fit too tight into the barrel they will absolutely not play well, if at all. The o-ring fit needs to be just snug. I discovered that by switching barrels & guts around. HTH
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 01:18:32 AM »
my own guts ill put pictures up after work. i think i figured it out one side was a little closer to the reed than the other side . adjusting that did help some

Sounds like you are on the way to solving this.  Usually a little more sanding on the slope will fix the problem, when I say a little, I mean very little, then try it.  Make sure you sand evenly on both sides and both pieces.  The 2 sides need to be as close as humanly possible. 

If you have a made yourself a jig, the next time you might want to try drilling about a 1/16" deeper.  See if that helps, doing this is just about like sanding more slope on the board.  If no jig, after you have tried a few and figured out some of the "secrets" you might see that the drilling is the answer.

Marvin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 06:17:48 AM »
Thanks Marvin I've been absesed with crow calls lately I've been working on a jig. Would you suggest a angled tone board like goose guts or slightly sloped boards like a mallard call

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 03:41:32 PM »
I don't use a jig, I freehand them.  I split pen blanks, turn on center, drill and then free hand sand the slope.  If I was making a jig, I would go with a jig similar to the jig that goose guts are made on.  Making 1/2 at a time.  I would also make it out of wood and use a router bit with a bearing to cut them.  Routers are dangerous, I have all 10 fingers and never have made an emergency room trip because of my woodworking, I am too old to start now.

Marvin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
thanks for the info marvin i thought mallard tone boards were hard now they are like second nature . i gave up on the jig idea for crow guts just for the simple fact it didnt work well with me design ill post a pic of a crow call i finished up soon  :thanks: