Author Topic: single and double reeds  (Read 11655 times)

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
Re: single and double reeds
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »
Anyone who has looked for .012 Dupont Mylar has not looked for it as long as I have.  Sorry Kevin, but Chris is right when he says you won't find any.  Seems its easy for me to forget, thanks again Chris.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Kevin @ Harvester Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
Anyone who has looked for .012 Dupont Mylar has not looked for it as long as I have.  Sorry Kevin, but Chris is right when he says you won't find any.  Seems its easy for me to forget, thanks again Chris.

Ya it's definitely not out there... If you or Chris ever find that your willing to part with enough for 2 goose call reeds just let me know. But I do have to ask... In my mind this thickness is perfect for a goose call Reed... Kind of like having a shaved Reed across the whole Reed. I imagine that it makes a goose call more responsive and noticeably faster than the .014 reeds.  Am I correct? Is it as good as I think?
Kevin

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 05:39:12 PM »
.012 thickness in Mylar is perfect for open large bore duck calls, half of a double reed duck call set-up, and works ideal in some long-reed goose calls.  Not enough to play with cutting it up, or I would experiment with flutes and short-reeds.  Sooner or later you would think a manufacturer would make some for the silkscreen business or for other production work.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »
It's tough to experiment with when you know there is no more to be found when you run out.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
I just posted this thread.  http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php?topic=21606.new#new

Volunteers???

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline COsby

• New Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 10:49:50 AM »
After talking to a lot of people here locally about what they want in a duck call, I found that the large majority want a double reed. Could be becuase we're all a bunch of amateurs, but even some friends that are not prefer the double.
When I first started I started on single reeds. They were just easier to tune in my opinion. however, I'm to the point now where I only make double reeds. this is very different and tricky as my main complaint is "too hard to blow" so I've had to work a lot to fix that. I actually just sent a call to another builder I met online and he said the sound is spot on, and he's been making them for years now. I plan to send it to some more people for them to run.

I start by cutting out the toneboard of course. I make sure everything is square and the sides are equal.
Next I put 2 full reeds on the board. Then I start to tune the reeds. I start by cutting the top one back just a little bit. After that, I cut them both at the same time, but keep that small difference between top and bottom. After it's really close I may sand the board just a bit but very little. I don't tune 1 reed then put another on top of it.
I do the same thing with my single reeds.