Author Topic: single and double reeds  (Read 11654 times)

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
Re: single and double reeds
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
boy what started out as a question turned into a debate . thanks for the info

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »
You posed a good question Ryan. Stay focused on your endeavor. All replies to your questions were based on opinion and preference. Again, if you need a hand, let me know.

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Matt aka ducknazi of Hawk Run Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »
I  feel a single reed is a more versatile call in capable hands. the problem is that some guys will never take the time to get comfortablewith a call and learn to use it.  I would rather see a customer purchase a single reed and learn to use it.

IMO, a double reed is just more forgiving to a caller that hasnt learned and practiced.

matt
Hawk Run Custom Calls

Offline R Marketti

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »
I respect all opinions , ideas, and thought and I how everyone has a slightly different opinion.  With that, in my opinion I have heard some custom doubles that you would swear were singles with the versatility and sound variation.  I would agree that most singles have a better range, but not in all cases.  If you learn how to make a killer double reed, you will surprise people that only make single reeds......keep an open mind.  Just because people think doubles are for amateurs or inexperienced callers who can' t call is based on their experiences.  The main stream duck call ideas are based off of big call companies and ideas that are already present.  Many subtle tone board combinations can alter sounds, pitch, and tone.  I use a call to hunt ducks, not stage calling.  This would be a great debate at the bar with a beer in hand and a duck call in the other. :beer: :beer:

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »
I use a call to hunt ducks, not stage calling.  This would be a great debate at the bar with a beer in hand and a duck call in the other. :beer: :beer:

Not sure why this thread intrigues me; it just does.

I'm no historian, but I'm quite certain that the duck call originated to call ducks to hunters for food. Probably, many years later, a duck call was used in competition. Now that competition calling is popular, there is a definative line drawn. I respect both sides of that line although I have no desire to call competitvely.

Matt wrote "I would rather see a customer purchase a single reed and learn to use it."

Why this?  I would rather have someone purchase a call they can operate efficiently and and be satisfied with regardless of the amount of reeds. A few have posted that they turn customers away if they are seeking a double reed call. I get that to a degree but it appears that folks are talking about double reed duck calls as if they are a nuisance or have no place in the duck hunting community. Perhaps I misunderstood what was being posted or percieved it differently than it was intended? I agree completely with those that have posted about the versatility/ability of a single reed. That said, I disagree that double reed calls are "a limited call with a crutch so that bad callers can feel good about themselves".
Above quote from Marketti " This would be a great debate at the bar with a beer in hand and a duck call in the other".  Probably a good idea and I'd love to join you. This, in my opinion, is where that line is drawn. I'd like to debate this in a duck blind. At a bar, you'll most likely get competition style calling. In a blind, you'll most likely get the calling style to attract and kill ducks.

Lastly, this is with respect for everyones opinion and preference that posted above.

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Well said, Mutt!  I don't think there are any hard and fast rules as to what makes a call great.  It all comes down to personal preference and personal ability.

Offline R.FINCHUM

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 10:39:54 AM »
I have made a couple of double reeds at the customers request, but like the majority of you guys, I like a single reed. The guy I made the double for also bought several single reeds. He came to me one day and asked me how I got the tones and runs from a single and I spent about 10 or 15 mins showing him just what I know and he left asking for 3 new calls, all single reeds. He said he can blow my singles better than a double. I think its just because no one had shown him the basics of just calling, not the difference between the two. Funny thing is, he is good friends with Steve Elmore that makes Fowl Language calls and is the new Texas state duck call champion.  I blew calls for Jim(Cowboy)/Fernandez of shure shot call for a couple of yrs at outdoor shows. He actually had a triple reed and a double reed with brass inserts in the reed that added a king of rattle or buzz. All basically a gimmick but some guys thought it made them sound better. He also made a single that we called a buffle mouth, rounded mouth piece that guys swore by, but wasnt any different than the standard shure shot. Phil Robertson was supposedly the first one to patent a double reed call. But he uses an old style mule single reed(or did). Double reeds may help cover up some miscues, but I dont know for sure. I like a single reed and will use one and make them unless someone insists.

Callen

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »
I like posting this link whenever one of these single vs double discussions comes up, just to  :pot:

The layman's term article:
http://msucares.com/news/print/fwnews/fw11/110728.html

Here's his journal paper if anyone is overly bored:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1002/wsb.228/asset/228_ftp.pdf?v=1&t=i3air7oz&s=1339bbdefb70b4119791b8f9f2c241d181ca816b

It ALL comes down to personal preference though.

Cody

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 03:23:40 PM »
this post started by me asking for some tips on tuning a double reed call. :hysterical:  it turned into a chevy verse ford debate . it does show the passion that we all have for calls and calling or we wouldnt care . just keep'em quackin.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Back to your question, are you comfortable attempting it and are you willing to sell it knowing what you know about double reeds?  Simple yes or no, the rest of the baloney didn't change the facts.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Darren@SMAK D Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »
Just wanted to reply about Phil Robertson patenting the first double reed call.  I have to stick up for my home town boys. George Yentzen and James "Cowboy" Fernandez designed and patented the first double reed duck call in the early 1950's.  George died a few years later and Cowboy took over the company, which still exists today in Groves, Texas.  Cowboy sold the company a few years ago. His grandson is the manager (not owner) of the company today.  I guess I am partial to a double reed because of these guys.  If you have never looked at one of the calls, you owe it to yourself to get one and tear it apart. It took more brains than I have to design it. Very easy to blow also. Basically a Louisiana style tone board. Yentzen and Cowboy won world championships with it years ago.  Darren     

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 06:29:57 PM »
Ok, my feelings are much like Brother Ronald and feel the single reed j-frame duck call is the most versatile to use.
I have however spent quite a bit of time experimenting with double reed calls.  I do understand why a few folks prefer them over a single reed call.  The three main reasons are (double reeds are usually difficult to over blow and give the impression that they are easier to control, they have their own distinctive sound, and provide more rasp built into the call for those callers who find it difficult to grunt into the call.
I have had some success making and tuning double reeds.  Like all my calls I strive to make them somewhat easier to blow.  Single reed callers are often surprised that they can highball easily on my double reed calls.  They are much like my singles with minor changes.  Besides providing more air under the reed and my set, I have opened up the exhaust on the tone board.  I am also fortunate to have my hands on a short supply of .012 Dupont Mylar which I use for double reeds and conventional goose calls.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Kevin @ Harvester Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
Ok, my feelings are much like Brother Ronald and feel the single reed j-frame duck call is the most versatile to use.
I have however spent quite a bit of time experimenting with double reed calls.  I do understand why a few folks prefer them over a single reed call.  The three main reasons are (double reeds are usually difficult to over blow and give the impression that they are easier to control, they have their own distinctive sound, and provide more rasp built into the call for those callers who find it difficult to grunt into the call.
I have had some success making and tuning double reeds.  Like all my calls I strive to make them somewhat easier to blow.  Single reed callers are often surprised that they can highball easily on my double reed calls.  They are much like my singles with minor changes.  Besides providing more air under the reed and my set, I have opened up the exhaust on the tone board.  I am also fortunate to have my hands on a short supply of .012 Dupont Mylar which I use for double reeds and conventional goose calls.

:eek: .012 thickness mylar? you know how long I've been looking for some of that!!!!?!!
Kevin

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 07:26:21 PM »

:eek: .012 thickness mylar? you know how long I've been looking for some of that!!!!?!!
You won't find any. The sheets I sent to Joe were straight from the factory from back in the early 80's. Still have some, but I hang on to it because I know what I have :)

Offline FS Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
I am enjoying this post way too much.  A little food for thought.  I believe a college did extensive research on which calls sounded more like a real hen mallard.  The double reed won hands down.   I sell more singles than doubles only because of the stigma set on doubles as crutches.   If I could figure out how to post a video of a meat competition I would.   Make a good double and it is a great call. Make a good single and it is a great call.  Ill be glad to help if anyone needs it on how to go about making a double.  I got no secrets
Thor