Author Topic: Couple More Done  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
Couple More Done
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:40:04 AM »
Just thought I would share a couple more calls I finished recently.  First one was made out of a scrap piece of maple 2x4 I picked up while at the lumber store the other day.  Not sure if it would work to make a call but thought I would give it a try just for the heck of it.  Its pretty plain looking but sounds good.  East indian rosewood ends on it.  Second is a piece of stabilized Cocobolo that has a little orange in it.  Thought might as well match it with a clear orange poly resin insert.  I dont know if its the cocobolo or what but its real loud and goosy!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:52:40 AM by Moonpiecalls »

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Couple More Done
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:03:03 AM »
Nice calls!
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »
Nothing plain about that maple call at all.  Those rosewood caps really set it off.  Nice color combo on the woods and the band.

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:50:42 AM »
i do a lot of stabilizing and never heard of anyone stabilizing cocabola. what was your theory behind that. and that maple call is awsome.

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 09:52:48 AM »
Thanks!  The maple was more of just a piece of wood to practice doing inlays (still new to call making and trying new things).  I was happy with how it turned out actually.

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »
As for the cocobolo it was just a piece of wood I bought when I was originally buying supplies a couple months back.  I will try to find which place I bought it from.

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 09:59:34 AM »
I just looked back and here is where I got it from.  I bought it when I bought my 4 jaw chuck from PSI when I was first getting started and I didnt know much about anything yet. 
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/WX01-GC.html

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
i dont see the benifit of stabilized coca . since you worked with it what did you think i wouldnt belive it would do much of any thing other than waste time .

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »
I have never turned coco that isnt stabilized because I bought two pieces of this and that was it.  I am picking up some regular dry coco this weekend so then I can tell the comparison after I turn some of it.  As far as how it turned it didnt seem to bad at all with sharp tools?  I am just getting into call making and only turned about 10 wooden calls so far trying out different woods so its hard for me togive an answer really as I dont have much experience yet!

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »
from what ive seen in previous posts from you your way farther along than i was at 10 calls keep up the good work and always pay attention to the details. :bigup:

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »
Yea thanks man!  Details are a huge thing with this hobby!  My junk pile tells me that haha. Next project is the worthless wood blanks I just received! Went to an exotic wood store today to and came home with a cart full of new woods and lots of coco!  Now to make a bowl to keep the wife happy hahaha

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »
Keep your tools sharp and cant wait to see a nice bowl