Author Topic: Looking at a drill press, Grizzley or Delta?  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
Looking at a drill press, Grizzley or Delta?
« on: November 25, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »
found this model delta on CL.  Owner claims barely used, asking $360.00.
http://www.deltadrillpressguide.com/#Delta_17-950L_16-128243_Laser_Drill_Press

I can buy a Grizzley brand new for a little more, plus $79 shipping.  which one would you buy?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-14-Floor-Drill-Press/G7944

Offline MadTrapper

• New Forum Member
Re: Looking at a drill press, Grizzley or Delta?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »
Buy the one with the longest quill travel.  You don't want to stop 1/2 way through a call and have to put a block under your blank to finish drilling the hole completely through.  I have a delta and it doesn't have adequate quill travel.  I'm going to look at a Jet next time... 
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it". - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
from what I can find, the delta has 3 7/8 Stroke,  grizzley has 3 3/4.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »
This is from the Grizzly site, "•Spindle travel: 3-1/4" So I don't know where you got 3 3/4 from LOL. 1/2 HP is a little bit small isn't it?? I would think it would have a little bit more power (delta). I would do what MadTrapper said and get the one with the longest quill travel. Maybe wait a little bit and see if anything else pops up on CL? The Craftsman 17" Drill Press is what I've been looking at, I think they have a 4" travel or something like that.
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:05:17 PM »
Yea I read that, must have typed the wrong button and didn't catch it during my proof read before posting.  I like the grizzley 3/4 hp vs the delta 1/2, but the delta has the longer travel.  Guess I'll  sleep on it tonight.  he hasn't  returned my call anyways.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:28:41 PM »
This is what I was talking about - http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5622/flutemandrelsteppeddril.jpg I guess its isn't a 17".... And it only has a 3.23" spindle travel. BUT it's cheaper and it has 1HP!  So. Many. Choices.  :wacko:     Good luck!
David
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 04:32:38 PM »
Look at Woodcraft.  They have a 17 inch with a 6 inch quill travel.  Pay me now or pay me later!
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:27:26 PM »
I would wait on a Craigslist find, great deals take time. Don't get too hung up on hp ratings, amperage is a much better indication of power. I got my drill press (15-1/2" Craftsman, 4-1/8" spindle stroke ca. 1979) on CL for $130 and it's all American made. It has a 1/2 hp motor that you couldn't bog down with a pipe wrench... just keep your eyes open and sometimes incredible deals pop up.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 12:43:42 AM »
With my tools I used "bleed" Delta gray paint but after this last corporate screw up, it would be hard for me to buy a Delta product.   

Depending on your future goals in callmaking determines your future needs.  4" quill throw is nice, longer is better.  I have a 3 and 1/4 quill throw on one drill press in New Mexico, if I need more I can drill on the lathe.  Most of my designs don't require the longer quill throw, so I bought a Rikon bench model brand new for this shop.   

There is a plenty of money that can be spent in this hobby, if you are frugal you buy what you need, not always what you want.  If funds are unlimited, go for what you want.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline MadTrapper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
With my tools I used "bleed" Delta gray paint but after this last corporate screw up, it would be hard for me to buy a Delta product.   

Me too dogcatcher.  There is a lot of Delta gray in my shop.  I'm not familiar with the last corporate screw up that you reference.  What's that all about? 

I gotta say that the Jet tools have my attention and my next power tool (joiner) will probably be a Jet.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it". - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »
I have a delta DP with a 6" throw and have to say it is convenient... but given their major customer service and parts issues I wouldn't buy another delta unless it was really old steel.  Fortunately, I haven't had any service needs.

While I do recommend a longer throw if you buy a DP, I will say that I have almost completely migrated to drilling blanks and inserts on my lathe and if I was starting over I'd probably just find a cheap benchtop model or maybe skip the DP altogether.

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 10:26:02 AM »
I have a delta DP with a 6" throw and have to say it is convenient... but given their major customer service and parts issues I wouldn't buy another delta unless it was really old steel.  Fortunately, I haven't had any service needs.

While I do recommend a longer throw if you buy a DP, I will say that I have almost completely migrated to drilling blanks and inserts on my lathe and if I was starting over I'd probably just find a cheap benchtop model or maybe skip the DP altogether.

Thanks for the input.  I don't have a lathe.  I have a shopsmith.  It does a lot of things, and probably the best thing it does is it's lathe position.  That said, if you drill horizontally like in a lathe, or even in the drill press in the vertical position, both the table, and the tail stock piece flex just enough, that your drill bit will drift off center slightly.  Hence the reason I'm looking for a drill press.  Shop smith is a great tool, and does a lot of jobs well, just not a lot of jobs excellently.  It's a good piece of equipment for small things, but if your doing big stuff, like cabinetry, not so good.

Offline Wayne at Winzer Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 11:28:55 PM »
Hey Scott, check out the Porter Cable drill press at Lowes. It has a 4" quill travel for around $320. I have look at it in the store. Appears to be well built by today's standards. If I was in the market for one, I would seriously consider thie one.
Wayne
The older blind man was asked "What can be worse than losing you sight?"  He replied " ones vision"
author unknown

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »
I was at woodcraft the other day and seen a drill press that had a 6" drill depth made by steel city . to me it looked good but I'm always Leary about a name brand that I Dont know. Just something to ponder. Good luck

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »
Steel City Tools are the new kids on the block, kind of like Rikon, they started up about 9 or 10 years ago.  Their claim too fame is "Woodworking tools designed by woodworkers".  They have come along way since the beginning from the few tools I have seen the price and the fit and finish seem to be pretty good.   They are making a full line of woodworking tools, and if Woodcraft is selling them, I would bet Woodcraft did their homework before they signed the contract. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.