Author Topic: Black Palm  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
Black Palm
« on: November 20, 2014, 07:48:44 AM »
This wood was the most difficult to work with thus far I found.  Just finished this one last night and it took me a while thus why I thought I would post as I was happy with the results!  When working with wood do you guys ever find that you have to tinker with it sometimes to get the barrel to sit flush with the insert?  Possible reasons for this?  7/8 hole not drilled exact with the 5/8 hole? Or the wood on the insertnot directly squared off?  I have done a couple now where I have had to mess around a bit to get it exact and a couple that have been fine right away.  Just picking brains here again.  Thanks for all the help on here!

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Black Palm
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 07:54:12 AM »
I don't have an answer to your questions, but I do know a pretty call when I see one.   Nice job on the Palm.   I hate the stuff  :hysterical:   But it looks like you nailed it.   :bow:

AL @ THO

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »
 :bigup:
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:52:44 AM »
Pretty caller. When I drill a 7/8" step, I drill 1/8" further in than I need to and take that 1/8" of wood off the end of the blank, so I am sure the blank is square compared to my hole drilled.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »
Thanks!  As for that last comment that is some good advice.  Definitely makes sense and I will be trying that!  Like I said in another post just getting going on this new hobby and this is how im learning! (sorry for all the posts but its helping me learn the tricks).  I seem to have a different issue with every couple calls I make here out of the gate and I am quickly learning all the little tricks to help solve them!  Thanks again

Brent Winingear

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 08:00:58 PM »
You are glutton for punishment, black palm and zebra wood.  lol Take a break and do some cocobolo or hedge. They both look finished when you are through sanding. But, you did do a heck of a job with both woods.  :bigup: