Author Topic: First time working with wood goose barrel  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
First time working with wood goose barrel
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:52:46 AM »
Did this goose barrel in Cocobolo the other night and using youtube as a tool, finished it with CA.  I did 3 layers of the finish.  Just wondering if that is normal or how many layers of CA do most guys use to finish thier calls?  I used it the next day in the field with another insert I had already made and it seemed to hold up!  Also, one other question is about finishing the inside.  I did as far in as my finger would go, but wondering how to get right inside or if its necessary?  I figured I would do it on a dowel like I sand the inside, but I just dont know if you can do that quick enough?  Anyways heres a pic and like I said before Im just starting out so any criticisms will be taken as constructive!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:18:27 PM by Moonpiecalls »

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
Re: First time working with wood goose barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:26:10 AM »
I think you did a fine job with it.  Using "You Tube" as a tool to get your CA finish... even better.

Well done using other resources for learning!

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 08:56:20 AM »
Yea sometimes I just need to see it to visualize it.  Lol other times I need to make the mistake to learn from it...got a little collection of acrylic from mistakes starting out!

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:37:38 AM »
thats a great looking call. when i do my ca finish i use medium ca and do about 15 coats ,then start sanding from 600 to800 to 1200 to1500 then 2000. then i use Hut plastic polish. if i have a goober ill use 400 grit to knock it down. then start through the grits and it will shine like glass. whenever i use a couple of coats i sand through the finish and you will get blotchy spots usually on curves or edges. and for insides. if its a call im using or just a run of the mill call ill just put a couple coat of teak or tung oil on the inside. if its a call for a competition ill take a 3/8 dowel and split it and use cotton patches from a gun cleaning kit and start swabbing remember in out then switch patch,i do all of this part off the lathe so i dont get ca on my mandral. then hand sand. its not a fast process and take into consideration that coats of ca on the inside changes how things fit . so extra sanding befor ca may be needed hope this helps

Offline Andrew of HaddenHailers

• New Forum Member
    • HaddenHailers Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:28:30 AM »
I use some where between 8 and 12 coats of thin, and start wet sanding back at 1000, 1500 and 2000 then polish.  As for the inside, just use a q tip.  Works great, and cheap!

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
Awesome thanks for the tips!  I did 3-4 maybe five coats at most, so I guess I need a few more then.  I also have medium CA.  I was thinking oil would be the best way to do the inside as I couldnt for the life of me see CA being needed inside. And like you said, it would make the inside different dimensionsuntil you sand it down then...lot of work.. After I did my coats I started at 400 as well and worked to 1500 and finished it with novus!  I will be doing a few more coats for sure!  Thanks for the help guys.  Shes a learning process!

Callen

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 10:11:38 PM »
The only reason to do more coats is to prevent sanding through the finish. If you've sanded and polished without going through to the wood, you've layed down a successful CA finish. The inside definitely needs something on it by the way. Otherwise the wood will expand from your spit and the CA will crack.  I have a 5/8" dowel with a slit cut into it. I put a paper towel in the slit and apply the CA to the inside of the barrel with that. Just another option.

Cody