Author Topic: Help!  (Read 8812 times)

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Help!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 08:15:58 AM »
A 1/4" gap from a 3" peice of glass would mean the 3 1/2" slate top would fall through. So your gap must be less than that. :)
Well, DUH. I didn't think of that. LOL!
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 08:24:29 AM »
Did you use the same striker on both yours and the Brookside call?  Are the sound boards and the playing surfaces identical in both calls?   Remember when comparing you have to compare "apples to apples", they have to be as close as possible.  The walls of the side, the thickness of the pedestal, the gap between the sound board and the playing surface, the distance between the walls and the sound board, and the list goes all the way to the finished call. 

How close are you on the measurements?  A little bit or a lot, are we talking 1/16" or 1/4" or is it a 1/32".  The last issue, sometimes regardless of how much you work at it and how close you are, you have a dud, it's called the shop Gremlin's fault.   

Marvin
Yes I used the same striker, they are both slate over glass. There is a few differences, and I bet that's whats causing it. The outside of the pot is the same diameter, but it is rounded over instead of square. The pedestal is probably 1/32 smaller. The center hole is 1/2 instead of 3/8 (I don't have a 3/8 mandrel) And the wood is different. The way I made this pot was wrong, I made it way to hard. The pedestal would've been the correct size if I hadn't done what I did. When I get my cedar blanks in I am going to start making them, and changing just the smallest things to see what does what. Hopefully by the time I run out of wood I will know how to make a pot call. ;P ;D Will I have to make stuff thicker with the cedar? Since it is soft? Thanks for the help so far!
David

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »
cedar makes a great sounding call, and it's harder than you think, and is classified as a hard wood.  What is your pot calls final thickness.   mine are just shy of 7/8.  My sound chamber is 5/16 from the top of the pedistal  to the back wall or bottom, however you want to call it.  Try using those numbers for a starting point, and go from there.

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
if there is gaps in the adhesive silicon used to glue down the surface you can get a lose of sound and real high pitch.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 11:25:01 AM »
cedar makes a great sounding call, and it's harder than you think, and is classified as a hard wood.  What is your pot calls final thickness.   mine are just shy of 7/8.  My sound chamber is 5/16 from the top of the pedistal  to the back wall or bottom, however you want to call it.  Try using those numbers for a starting point, and go from there.

I made it the same thickness as the Brookside pot, 3/4. I thought it was a little thin. My Pedestal was only 1/8 tall, that might be the problem. :)  How do you guys apply the goop? Right now I use a screw driver (lol!) And it don't work to well. If Ryan is correct about there being gaps in the glue making it loose sound then that might be the problem too. When I glued the brookide pot together I used JB weld, (didn't have any goop) and I got an even coat of it on there, but I can't get an even coat with a screwdriver and goop. Will a syringe work? Thanks.
David

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »
use only the plumbers goop.  its now in a silver tube with purple markings.  you can get it at home depot, lowes, and any hardware store like Ace or Westlake.   Go to your local drug store and get a couple oral syringes for kids.  they give them away at the pharmacy.  tranfer directly from tube to syringe.  You'll only need about a 1/2 in the syringe to do a pot.  maybe 2.  insert the plunger and gently push down and apply a small controlled bead.  when done, pull back on the plunger to clear the neck, set it aside and let it dry out a couple days or so.  youll then be able to pull the plunger out slowly with the dried glue, remove the slug, and you'll   be able to reuse it.  Its worked for me several times.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
Thanks Scott. I got some GOOP after I did the brookside pot (a few months ago) I will have to go get a syringe, I think we may have one......  :thanks:
David

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
Are you using an expanding mandrel to make the pot?   This won't solve your problem, but making a 3/8" screw chuck to use in your collet chuck will make it easier to turn pot calls. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 05:19:20 PM »
Yes Marvin, I am using an expanding mandrel.
David

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 02:56:32 PM »
Make a screw chuck, or better yet buy a PSI bottle stopper chuck for a few dollars more.  About $10 on Amazon and the PSI site.  You can turn both sides of a pot with it, and you have a 3/8" center hole.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 11:26:41 PM »
Be sure to read the wealth of information the guys have posted in the tutorial section. Start with Larry's advice at http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,10127.0.html
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »
I have read through that post a bunch l, there is alot of great information there!
David

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 09:49:55 AM »
Keep making them and changing one thing at a time until you figure it out.  4 calls isn't enough to even c=scratch the surface.  Plain and simple.....no pain no gain

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »
Keep making them and changing one thing at a time until you figure it out.  4 calls isn't enough to even c=scratch the surface.  Plain and simple.....no pain no gain

STUMP
I know Stump, I haven't made very many because I didn't have enough slate and glass. I just ordered a bunch more. I will be trying different things every time until I figure out what does what......
David