Author Topic: Recommended finishing methods  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Seth robbins

• New Forum Member
Recommended finishing methods
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:41:53 AM »
I've been making turkey calls for a little less than a year now and have recently  purchased my  own lathe, tools ect. It started as a hobby but recently more and more people have asked to purchase my calls, which is great but I haven't been able to get the perfect finish on my calls, I'm not very familiar with many different finishing techniques but I have been using a combination of old English lemon oil and 100 percent bees wax, I like the way it works with the grain and helps make the call water resistant, I was just wondering if there was a recommended product that will help bring out the grain and provide a harder and more glossy finish. Any recommendations or info would be very much appreciated!

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
Re: Recommended finishing methods
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »
Seth, to get you headed in the right direction here, you may want to head over to the "Introduce yourself" thread and tell the folks a little more about yourself.  Nothing wrong with jumping right in and asking questions but you'll get much better assistance by following a few "unwritten" rules for this forum.  There are numerous threads within this site to help you with the question you posed; that said, try doing some reading within those threads and answer some of your own questions.  The answers are here and you should to put in the time and research to dig them out. In your readings, you will stumble across so much other stuff that will be helpful to you.  In the interim, welcome!

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:10:09 AM »
Seth,

I use Birchwood Casey Tru-oil. 8 to 12 coats depending on the wood. BUff it lightly with 0000 steel wool between coats.
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »
There is no one simple and easy finish for all calls, you really need to research all of them, and take notes about the good and the bad for each type of finish.  A good place to get a basics of finishes is Russ Fairfield's finishing Secrets.  http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ3.shtml

Next read the forum, some of Fairfield's stuff isn't appropriate for game calls, that info you will find on the forum.

My recommendation is to start simple with an oil finish, Watco Teak Oil, basically it is cheap, simple and almost fool proof.  If you pursue the oil finish, read Frank Whiton's gunstock finish article. https://www.firearmsforum.com/firearms/article/3037 

The best secret of a great finish is to start with a great sanding job.  You should buy the best sandpaper you can afford, and use it like someone else is paying for it.  Klingspor and Norton are the top name brands, I buy mine from the Klingspor Woodworking shop http://www.woodworkingshop.com/ 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
I forgot, welcome to THO.  Also add your location to your profile, you might be our neighbor and one of us could offer hands on mentoring, but if you don't let us know your location, you lose out on that.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Seth robbins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
Thank you very much for the info, I'm sure there are probably more than plenty of of sources on THO that cover this topic, so I do apologize if made a redundant post :oops: haha I just haven't completely gotten acquainted with the website ect. Up until recently I made calls only for myself and a few family members, so the only thing I focused on was building a call with the kind of tone volume and quality that I felt would help me kill more birds, now that I have individuals  interested in my product, I realize that not only do I need a call with the sound that will bring in long beards, but looks that will bring in customers!!  And I'm from Owensboro Ky, I'll have to add my location as soon as I can

Thanks again!!

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 06:42:59 PM »
When you're new to making calls your focus should be on sound.  The urge to make a beautiful and shiny call is strong, we've all been there.  But do yourself a favor and get a can of teak oil and go with that.  On a finely sanded call, an oil finish will absolutely look great.  Plus it is very durable, won't flake off in a couple months and in my experience guys that hunt a lot and know calls will want an oil finish as opposed to a clear coat finish such as spar, laquer, CA, etc.  All you have to do is soak the call in the can of oil for hours or even a day or two.  Take it out, wipe it completely dry.  In a day or so it'll be dry.  You can even buff it to make the shine pop a little.  Be careful with the rags with any oil based finish, as they can combust spontaneously if not properly dealt with.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 08:47:08 AM »
X2 to what Aaron said about safety with the oily rags. Either store them in a metal can with a top or hang them outside to dry. More than one shop burned down because of them being inside.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?