Author Topic: Reelfoot Reed Tuner  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
Reelfoot Reed Tuner
« on: October 14, 2014, 10:06:49 PM »
This is my first "prototype" of an idea inspired by Benny Floyd whike at Reelfoot this weekend.  Benny described a tool he'd made using two rods welded with a gap between them for bending reeds.  The concept stayed in my mind the entire trip home, and by arrival this was the design on which I'd settled.  There are 3 rods and 2 gaps... one for a .008 reed and one for a .005 reed.  The rods sit in holes milled into some small scrap steel, which I covered with some wood to make it mire comfortable to hold.  The first few trials worked well, though (as Benny noted in an email today) a thicker rod may help reduce the risj of tight bends.  My next model might be a tabletop or wallmount version, but I really like the pocket size of this.  At any rate, I thought I'd share as it may spark an idea for one of you that may be an improvement over it.

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: Reelfoot Reed Tuner
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »
Innovation at work... I like it!!!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Reelfoot Reed Tuner
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »
Interesting idea.  I had toyed with the idea of 3 rollers (wheels) 2 fixed and one adjustable but so far only an idea.  When using shim stock reed material from a roll my reeds are curved as they come off the punch so I usually end up having to reduce the curvature of the reed .
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?