Author Topic: Harvesting Your Own Wood - Spalting  (Read 2889 times)

Offline clintfaas

• Custom Call Maker
Harvesting Your Own Wood - Spalting
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »
I think I would like to start trying to harvest some of my own wood.  The thought of having a call made start to finish from something I cut is very appealing to me.  I've got the contacts for a mill (if needed), kiln and stabilizer.  The one thing I don't have is the know-how of going out and know what I'm looking for; in particular spalted material.  I've read some about it and got some of the basics about fungi growth, etc.  My question though is where do I start?  If I'm walking through the woods and see a felled tree or large limb, how do I go about determining if it may be a good candidate for spalting?  And if I do find one that I think will work, what is the best way to determine if it is too far rotted to be of use? 

Thanks for any input!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:33:28 PM by clintfaas »
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline Joe Short

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
Re: Harvesting Your Own Wood - Spalting
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:58:34 PM »
The lighter colored domestics are the most prevalent spalted species I've seen, Hickory (and it's subspecies), Maple, and Birch. As far as being able to tell when looking at standing timber whether ir not it's spalted? Good luck.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• Custom Call Maker
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:21:43 PM »
Cut some logs and bury them in a pile of leaves. Leave them for a month or so and they will spalt.

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 06:59:56 AM »
A little trick I found is to take green wood and wrap it in plastic for a few months set in a warm but not hot place and it will spault. If it is a rather thick piece you may have to  help it a bit by unwrapping it and spray it down with some rain or pond water then wrap it back up.

Larry
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:04:02 AM by Prairie Game Calls »
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF