Author Topic: 10 inch table saw thoughts  (Read 2218 times)

Offline sesimmons

• New Forum Member
    • Simmons Custom Calls
10 inch table saw thoughts
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:14:54 PM »
My table saw finally bit the bullet.

Was thinking of buying one of the compact 10 inch table saws. However, I know you often get what you pay for. I just need it for cutting 2x2 stock and smaller. Was curious about anyones thoughts.

Ive been looking at the Craftsman, Ryobi, Delta, Skil Saw, etc... that you can pick up from the local shops. Anyone have any of these or praises and complaints. Ive seen them in several peoples tool shop photos.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Regards
Scott

Offline misfire

• New Forum Member
    • misfiregamecalls.com
Re: 10 inch table saw thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
Not sure what your budget is, but I started out with a bench top model and soon found that it was not adequate enough for anything else other than 2x2s and such. If you decide later on that you want to get into furniture and other things, you may want to go ahead and get a really good saw now. I just sold my other tablesaw, a 10" contractors saw, sold it for $250. You can find deals like that all day on craigslist and other places. I just ordered a new Grizzly 2hp Hybrid, delivered to my door for just under $1000. Missed a great deal by one day at Rockler on a new Delta Hybrid for $750. I was mightily miffed at the manager for not selling me the saw at the price he had on the saw at the time and if I would have pursued it further I am sure I could have gotten it for the price. Or there could have been a SWAT call at that place soon thereafter :taz:
misfiregamecalls.com

#1700 God bless

Blackfalcon

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
Lee touched on the budget aspect, it is hard to recommend a saw without knowing the price range. Another big factor is how much you will be using it. I believe in buying the best tools I can afford, even if it means shopping used, often people buy tools just in case they need them, and you can find a good buy on used equipment. Features to look for include a good quality guide, conveniently located controls that are strong and durable such as your tilt mechanism, knobs for raising and lowering the blade, etc. A good quality saw is more enjoyable using than the cheapest out there. One saw I would recommend is made by Ridgid, folding compact model, it may be a little more than ones you were looking at.It is very similar in design to the Bosh another good quality compact saw but pricier. On any of the compact saws though, I would recommend also a thin kerf quality blade such as made by Freud or Forrest, it will put less strain on the motor and allow it to last longer and will run smoother with less vibration, which can be annoying on a motorized saw!
Dave

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »
I'm thinking a good bench top band saw with a good rip fence & ripping blade. This will also allow you to resaw larger pieces into thin strips for laminating woods to make fancy calls. Most band saws have a miter gauge slot too. A cradle to hold the blank can be built to knock the corners off your turning stock too. The dust from a band saw is minimal compared to a table saw as well as the noise factor being much less. I would recommend a band saw that will accept a 3/4" to 1" wide blade.

Having said all that the Ridgid compact model is lightweight & folds up to store out of the way. Plus it has plenty of ponies to rip hard woods.

HTH

Edited to add-- A band saw blade is much thinner so you have less waste of expensive materials.
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »
I have to gree with all th folks here on this. get the most saw you can for the buck you need to lay out for it. consider wat you'll be doing in 3-5 years at least. Sure, a compact saw will take less oom but you may be trading power for that space savings. Cutting 2 inch soft wood is not a problem for even for the lightest of saws, but start getting ito harder wood or some laminate and it's going to work hard. consider making a "worktop" for a floor model saw and letting it double as a bench top for other things when not using it to cut blanks. also, the harder the saw works, the harder you will too. that can be a bit hazardous to fingers and what not. spend the extra money on a quality blade. again, the work factor thing. Finally the bandsaw suggestion. I like it... a good quality bandsaw, though a bit pricier is probably will offer you the most in the way of versatility. You can cut more types of materials, safer and easier. Kickback is not a bandsaw thing. It WILL bind if you crowd it too much ro try to turn too tightly but it's easily handled. It also allows you to cut your own stock from tree limbs and small logs should you deisre. there are advantages to both. As i said, it pays to try and look ahead 5 years and try t get a saw that will meet those needs, not just todays.
Good luck.
Brian
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com