Author Topic: Turn-a-thon 2015 in Kansas City  (Read 8593 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Turn-a-thon 2015 in Kansas City
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »
Time to announce the dates for this year's Kansas City THO Turn-a-Thon!

Saturday and Sunday, January 17 and 18, 2015.  As usual, that's Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend for those of us that get that Monday off.  Details forthcoming, but we'll run it pretty much just like the last few years....Probable Friday night fattening food and hang out in the shop, 8am start Saturday, kick the last guys out around 2am, 8am start Sunday. 

For you guys that haven't heard of this or been to one yet, the Turn-a-Thon is a get-together of THO members at my shop.  This will be the 5th year I think.  It doesn't cost you anything, and all you have to bring is a willingness to share what you know or learn what you don't know.  We get anywhere from a dozen to two dozen guys in the shop, a few lathes, and everybody learns from everybody.  It is a blast.  Calls get traded.  Wood gets traded.  Anyone is welcome as long as they're a THO member.  Minors are welcome but need to be accompanied by a guardian adult at all times.

Hotel details....
http://www.ramada.com/hotels/kansas/overland-park/ramada-overland-park/hotel-overview?hotel_id=30084&cid=whg_ram_gglsem_br&wid=ps:br_whg&tel=8008512344&002=2193669&004=2356144378&005=11593626460&006=47772357778&007=Search&008=&025=c&026=
The hotel is less than a mile west of my house.

Airport is Kansas City International (MCI).

Agenda: 
Friday night the guys that are in town usually meet up for dinner and we can sit around and BS in the shop after dinner. 
Saturday 8am start time, we'll go until I have to kick people out late in the night.  We'll leave for lunch and dinner. 
Sunday 8am start time.  We'll leave for lunch and dinner.
Monday is a travel day for some, but not a shop day.  I spend Monday kissing my wife's ass for letting me have this.

My address is 6220 West 61 Street, Mission, KS 66202. 

I hope to see a lot of familiar faces (including you, Crawdad....None of this "I'm too old" business), as well as a some new faces!

Aaron
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:51:05 PM by Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks »

Offline Barry @ WildThings

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wild Things Taxidermy
Re: Turn-a-thon 2015 in Kansas City
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
Hmmmmm????

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:51:47 PM »
I want to come! I'm hoping me and my dad can get up there, I'd really like to meet all you guys and learn some stuff.  I guess I'd still be considered a "minor" if I know more about this stuff then my "guardian" right?? Lol.  What do you have to bring? The next few months will be going by super slow knowing about this!!  :taz:
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:34:25 PM »
Sorry David, you're most definitely considered a minor!  No offense intended and it isn't anything to do with competency or anything.  It is purely a liability thing for me and the other guys.  Each time we do this, everyone signs a release of damage liability waiver promising to not hold me responsible if they fall down the stairs or cut their hand off.  You're 1000% welcome, but your dad would need to stick with you throughout the day.  A couple years back Chase's dad came with him when he was a minor....This past year he came back even though Chase was no longer a minor.  Guess he had fun! 

Barry.....See you in January?   :whistling:

Offline Mac Dietrich

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 11:54:24 PM »
I'm coming this yr. hell or high water Aaron.... I've already told Vince I'll be there & ol' lady is outta school now so shouldn't be an issue for me to make it back & I'm looking forward to it!!! I'll see if I can't drag my fellow bearded Amish buddy Andrew with me aswell

Offline VECtor Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:39:32 AM »
I am looking forward to it for sure!
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:10:41 AM »
Before we commit to this date too hard, I'm tossing around the idea of pushing it back a month or two so all the guys that historically have skipped it because the birds are flying could make it.  Maybe February or early March?  Thoughts?  Hate to not do it on a 3 day weekend.  Would doing it on a 2 day weekend be a deal breaker for anybody?

Just thinking out loud.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:44:37 PM by Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks »

Offline Mac Dietrich

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 01:29:18 AM »
March would be better IMO most of the call contests for NWTF are over and hunting season is over....my vote would be for March

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »
Sorry David, you're most definitely considered a minor!  No offense intended and it isn't anything to do with competency or anything.  It is purely a liability thing for me and the other guys.  Each time we do this, everyone signs a release of damage liability waiver promising to not hold me responsible if they fall down the stairs or cut their hand off.  You're 1000% welcome, but your dad would need to stick with you throughout the day.  A couple years back Chase's dad came with him when he was a minor....This past year he came back even though Chase was no longer a minor.  Guess he had fun! 

Barry.....See you in January?    :whistling:
No offense taken! Figured I'd give it a shot!  :whistling: I asked him if we could go last night and he said  "Probably not" but I bet I can get him to change his mind!  :yes:
David
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline J.Rode

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 07:42:24 AM »
I'll throw another vote in for March for the exact reasons Mac mentioned.

Jason.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
I would really like to make it again this year. it is one of the highlights of the year for me. But there are a bunch of personal issues that may keep me from making it this year. When isn't a big issue. The storms affecting the airplane is the issue. Just deal with that for me please. And for folks that havn't made of of these events you are missing out on not only a great time but some wonderful learning experiences.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »
I'm in!  January is fine by me, march is just as good. 
If we do it in march Crawdad can call it a Turkey scouting trip. 
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »
Well I asked momma how she'd feel about doing it in March, or anytime after January really.  She'll be in her last semester of her masters program to become a nurse practitioner and will have 350+ hours of clinicals that semester.  The answer I got was generally "hell no".  Gotta do it in January or wait until May.  Trust me, her schedule is absolutely insane right now and January class starts the Tuesday after the proposed January turn-a-thon.

I'm all in for January but would rather do it when we can get the most guys come, so a different time of year is always an option. 

Late May is certainly an option too.  Memorial day weekend?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:45:19 PM by Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks »

Offline Barry @ WildThings

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wild Things Taxidermy
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 09:31:02 PM »

Barry.....See you in January?   :whistling:

It's at the top of my list right now for sure!! in any month!!

Offline gooseforsupper

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 04:20:06 PM »
Yep!  I'm in.  I have so much to learn, I need shop time with my buddies.  :stuart: :winkiss: :punk:
No better place to do that than a turn-a-thon.  It is worth the drive time that's for sure.... :beer:

Doug