Author Topic: 2015 NC Turn-a-Thon Event  (Read 10087 times)

Offline Joe Short

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
Re: 2015 NC Turn-a-Thon Event
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »
Option II is we don't settle down which makes roach motels and tents irrelevant!

This. :yes:
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline Jeremy@Swampy Creek Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • One Day
    • www.facebook.com/swampycreekcalls
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 06:46:02 PM »
   We are getting close....... :taz: This will be my first year at the turn-a-thon and I am excited to meet ever one.  :clap: see ya soon.
Jeremy@swampy creek calls

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 06:09:30 AM »
Jeremy, I'll make a deal with ya. We'll take my truck... you drive and I'll navigate.
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Jeremy@Swampy Creek Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • One Day
    • www.facebook.com/swampycreekcalls
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 07:24:08 AM »
On that note, Let the navigating began.... :beer: So you have now be nominated the navigator.... :eek: 
Jeremy@swampy creek calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »
And the BL Smoothie Eliminator!
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline rodney gillikin

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 08:46:36 AM »
been working a lot of overtime at work, just wanted to know if this event is still going on and what time does it start and end might have to try to come after work? but im hopeful to get there and be able to spend some time learning what I need to start making calls. and need a address so I can find it . thanks  :bigup: ps if anybody got any tools and I got a shop smith machine with a 1/2 drill chuck , have not decided what setup that im going with for a chuck been looking and a expanding mandrel and get the shank turned donw to fit the drill chuck but not sure ? and I need to get me a tool rest or I might just make one, I have a medal shop than I run on the side welding and fab making clam rack on the side. :gitrdone:   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:54:59 AM by rodney gillikin »
Pure T Momicked Game Calls

Offline Joe Short

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 09:11:59 AM »
Rodney, et al, my address is: 933 Haw Branch Rd. Beulaville, NC 28518
It's still going on! I believe Jeff and his protege, Jeremy, are shooting for a Friday arrival, which is basically how it worked last year. Friday afternoon is set for the start, most of the guys showed up on Saturday morning last year and I would expect much of the same this year. We don't really have a "shut it down" time, we're all getting older but we just about watched the sunrise last year.

With regards to your chucking situation, I couldn't say I know much about Shop Smith and their proprietary tooling issues... I will say that I started out using a drill chuck with an extremely cheap expanding mandrel (against everyone's recommendations, mind you) and turned dozens of calls that way. You can get a 3/4" chuck on eBay for ~$30... not that it's the ideal solution but it IS a solution, just not a very safe one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:13:36 AM by Joe Short »
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

• Custom Call Maker
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 09:16:08 AM »
Rodney. We are a go for this weekend!  Weather will be warm with a slight chance of some showers. Joe can speak to the weather with a little better accuracy.  A couple of us are showing up Friday afternoon to help Joe set up.  I would say any time Friday afternoon or Saturday morning after 0830-0900 or so.  PM Joe [Short] for his address and time confirmation.  Bring what you want; there will be enough knowledge there to help you with just about anything.

Jeff

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Joe Short

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »
Currently, the weather gurus are saying Friday will be frigid with a high of 35, Saturday and Sunday are looking to be in the low 60s. That's all likely to change to some extent. I hope it's nice out... My shop isn't climate controlled!  :stickman1:

• Custom Call Maker
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
I think Eric Clapton said it best.... " If you want to get down, down on the ground... PROPANE !!!

:hysterical:

muttcalls@gmail

Offline rodney gillikin

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 08:13:09 PM »
boys things are working against me working ot and wife has come down sick but I am still going to try to make it . I might be in the evening after work or maybe Sunday. If one of you guys text  here is my phone text me and let me know what's going on Saturday after 330 pm. 2523422253 thanks :stickman1:

Offline Joe Short

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »
No worries, Rodney. We'll be looking for you Saturday afternoon, I'll shoot you a text Saturday AM when we get rolling.

:beer: :clap: One more day, gents! :clap: :beer:

Offline Henry H

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
I'm afraid I'm out, guys.  This weather threw a kink in our plans to move today and tomorrow, so my Saturday is no longer mine.  I hate that I'm going to miss it... was looking forward to sharing a few things learned at Reelfoot Lake, and to seeing and learning about the pantorouter.  Have a great time, and post some pics!

Offline Joe Short

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 11:03:08 PM »
I'm afraid I'm out, guys.  This weather threw a kink in our plans to move today and tomorrow, so my Saturday is no longer mine.  I hate that I'm going to miss it... was looking forward to sharing a few things learned at Reelfoot Lake, and to seeing and learning about the pantorouter.  Have a great time, and post some pics!
You freakin' kiddin' me, Henry?! Well, would've been great to have you... another time perhaps. Where are you moving?

Offline rodney gillikin

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »
well hows it going , I got to work Saturday but got sunday off text me and let me know? :gitrdone: