Author Topic: One Wood  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Short on Cache

• New Forum Member
One Wood
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:01:36 AM »
I have a buddy that has an opportunity to have a call made that would be one of 4 all wood calls from a very reputable callmaker (production) Its taken years to talk them into doing it. If this was your opportunity what wood would you use? Dont say green hedge because Ive already tried! haha
People sleep peacably in their beds at noght only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf-George Orwell

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: One Wood
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 03:26:03 AM »
I would want something locally from where the call maker is from. Or the call maker's favorite wood.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »
If it took years to talk them into doing this, I would say that this must be a reputable call maker? And for that reason, I would not worry so much about the "what species" issue; instead, just savor the fact that he is finally getting a call made from this reputable call maker.

Agree with Vince; let it ride and enjoy the surprise aspect.

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Short on Cache

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »
VERY Reputable. In my opinion the absolute best hunting call made. the Surprise isnt a bad idea. I will suggest that as an option. But I can also understand wanting the perfect peice of wood when you know you are never going to get another one
People sleep peacably in their beds at noght only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf-George Orwell

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »

Ok, so enquiring minds would like to know who is this reputable call maker?  That may help decide what kind of wood to send him.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »

Ok, so enquiring minds would like to know who is this reputable call maker?  That may help decide what kind of wood to send him.

Brian

Yep.   :yes:

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »

Brian

X3
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 11:39:15 PM »
Shape/style of call would have some impact on my decision.  A very traditional, old school type call would beg for a traditional wood like walnut.  Otherwise, I'd lean towards a oily rosewood of some sort like blackwood or cocobolo, or perhaps a crosscut hedge.

Offline Short on Cache

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:07:19 AM »
Id love to tell you guys but Im sworn to secrecy. Sorry.

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 08:16:18 AM »
Secret call maker?  Really?  Hmmmnnnn.......
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Callen

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 08:24:27 AM »
I'd tell him... to go scroll through someone like Stump's or Mr. Kolter's website and pick his favorite looking wood for the call. They seems to get their hands on some grade A stuff of all species. (Oh, and of course place a call order while he is there)

-Cody
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:52:57 AM by Callen »