Author Topic: Some toneboard questions  (Read 7055 times)

Offline Seang@sandc

• New Forum Member
Re: Some toneboard questions
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 06:12:27 PM »
I've checked around and unfortunately there's not a whole lot as far as local wood supply. Location has been updated. This was the first insert that was a little loose in the jig but all the other measurements were where I wanted to try so I started filing on it. The 5/8 dowel I have is a little oversized so I turn it down using a collect chuck and sand smooth the same way I'd do a good barrel but I don't go nearly as far with the grits. I drill the insert before I finish turning it down to .618 or so but this one might've gotten down to .610 or so. Could account for the cork slot being off.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 08:49:57 PM »
First finds real lumberyard, not Home Depot or Lowes, check and see what kind of woods they carry.  Next the local cabinet shops, they can be a good source of hardwoods.

The tone channel looks like it was drill drilled too low, I had already guessed that your insert was not 5/8".   That also explains the cork slot.  Also looks like the jagged edge of the tonechannel was the jagged edge left by the saw, I don't think you had it securely clamped in the jig.   

Marvn
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Seang@sandc

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 11:06:06 PM »
So spent the last couple hours working on this one. I think I finally hit a good direction as far as the tone depth goes. Easy to blow and just the right amount of raspy for me. Does a good quack, decent feed, gets loud without locking. It still needs work but sounds 10 times better. My neighbor was outside working on his boat, I went over after tuning and he told me my "ducks must be acting up because one of them was steady quacking." I'll take that as a compliment. I've got some pet ducks that are a good inspiration and good tools for real sounds. All I really did to this one was file small amounts right in front of the cork and a little on the top of the slope. I also drilled a little shallower than the wooden one.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
Is this an optical allusion or am I seeing things.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »
Another area to look at.  However slight the gap, my reed free floats all the way back to the cork.  If you reed is straight then you would have to file off a little at a time to get there.

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »
Another area to look at.  However slight the gap, my reed free floats all the way back to the cork.  If you reed is straight then you would have to file off a little at a time to get there.

Not trying to be a dick here but this is an UPSLOPE toneboard, thus you are incorrect.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline Seang@sandc

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 11:57:13 PM »
I never noticed until you pointed it out but it is an illusion. I even had to put a set of calipers on it.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »

Not trying to be a dick here but this is an UPSLOPE toneboard, thus you are incorrect.

No idea why you would think I would ever imagine that about you for a difference of opinion.  Educate me as I have never used an upslope jig.  Would it not stand to reason that is the spot exact spot you would file to change the tone of the insert?  That blue arrow is pointing to an area thats at least 25% the distacne of the tone channel.  Upslope or not that seems really far to me.