Author Topic: Baby Rattle  (Read 3626 times)

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
Baby Rattle
« on: September 30, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
I wanted to share a picture of the baby rattle I just finished for my soon-to-be-born son.  I wish I would have taken pictures of the process but instead I just have finished product and the rattle balls I made.  The main part is oak and the balls are mesquite, TX ebony and stabilized rainbow poplar.  Based on the responses I got from another post I wet sanded 400-1200 gr. to fill the grain and finished with Teak Oil in an attempt to make it more "baby safe."  Some suggested use something other than Oak but I had already started the project before reading that.  Being relatively new to turning this is my first "other than call barrels" turning project.  Let me know what y'all think!

I apologize for the cell phone pics.  I'll try to get some with my good camera later. 

"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Baby Rattle
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 02:32:40 PM »
I think its pretty dang cool!
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
Very nice.  Would've like to have seen some pics of the process.  I'm having trouble visualizing how you did that.   :huh:

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:38:37 PM »
Very nice.  Would've like to have seen some pics of the process.  I'm having trouble visualizing how you did that.   :huh:

Research "insideout woodturnings", or at least I think it is called that.

Super nice work on the rattler.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »

Check out this video.  .  Its where I got the idea... Cant take credit for the design!

In short, I started with 4 pieces of 3/4x3/4x8" oak.  Tape them together VERY tightly with 2" masking tape, then turn a section of it round (the "inside" opening).  Sand and finish the inside then mark the corners of the 4 slats and rotate 180 degrees so the void is in the center.  Insert the balls, glue and clamp.  After 24 hours very carefully turn to shape.  I didn't know how much to turn it down so I just stopped often to check the thickness of the outside of the rattle part.  When I was sanding the outside to finish I ran a piece of sand paper through the slats to sand each of them and make the sight window larger. 

It was a fun project... but a little tense at times worrying it was going to explode on me!  Needless to say I took extremely shallow cuts!
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:35:43 PM »
I really like that one I am going to have to try one of those. And by the way yours looks better than the one in the video.
Wane