Author Topic: Help with CAD toneboard measurements  (Read 6945 times)

Offline CJohnston

• New Forum Member
Help with CAD toneboard measurements
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:43:30 PM »
Hello all,

My brother and I have been making duck calls for a little while now. We decided we wanted to CNC our inserts just to make life a little less stressful on us  :surrender: At school I have been learning CAD on Solid works, and am decent at it. I was going to design an insert on it and send the design in to be CNC'ed as a final project. I think I can swing everything, except I'm not sure how to measure the slope of my insert to be transferred into Solidworks. Can anybody shine some light on this?

Thanks a ton!!

Caden
Last Pass Calls!!

Offline Kevin @ Harvester Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
Re: Help with CAD toneboard measurements
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:31:47 AM »
If you have access to a Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) that would probably be the easiest and most accurate. But if I were you I would measure from the cork notch out every 1/8" or every 1/4" and mark it somehow and then at those cross sections just use a pair of calipers and measure the thickness of the toneboard at each distance measurement. Then just create a spline using that data and that should get you pretty close.
Kevin

Callen

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »
Just lobby your department to invest in one of these. http://store.makerbot.com/digitizer   ::)

Obviously, if you don't have access to something like this or, even better, a CMM like Kevin said, Kevin's suggestion of just measuring at various locations and creating a sweep would work well. If you could figure out a way to trace the slope on a piece of paper, it would be advantageous because you could map the thickness at the corresponding position on the board's length much easier. Redneck idea- align the insert up on its side on a piece of paper and spray paint over it, leaving the outline of the board.

Cody

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:37:15 PM »
I could most likely ask my buddy to map it on a FaroArm for you and put it on a memory card for a nominal fee....far as fee I havent a clue but I know he could do it if your intersted.