Author Topic: Tuning a Short Reed Goose Call  (Read 5068 times)

Offline RedemptionCalls

• Custom Call Maker
Tuning a Short Reed Goose Call
« on: September 18, 2014, 09:50:20 PM »
I searched around a bit and I did not see too much about this around the forum. I figured it could be helpful for guys looking for more information about tuning goose calls.

Tuning a short reed goose call can sometimes cause stress during the hunting season. Knowledge is Power has got you covered! We break down what goes in to tuning a short reed goose call, so you can focus more on hunting, and less on call problems.

Here is a video of the tutorial:

First, I will break down the basic 5 parts that go into a short reed goose call. You have the barrel, which is where the air enters the call; the insert, which is where the air exits the call; and the gut system, which includes the mylar reed, the wedge, and toneboard system. The mylar reed vibrates and lifts in and out of the tone channel in order to resonate the sound of a Canada Goose.

I have found the best way to remove the gut system from a short reed goose call, like the Keystone Crush, is to hold the call in the palm of your hand while pressing down with your thumb. Be sure to press directly downward on the top of the toneboard. I find this limits the chance of snapping the toneboard. Once the gut system is removed from the insert, you can run each part under some cold water to clean off any debris or dirt. 

Now that you have the toneboard out of the call, it is time to re-tune your call. The first thing you want to do is to check for the flex in the mylar reed. Mylar is stored in large rolls, and this creates a natural bend in the mylar reeds memory. Simply place the reed between your thumb and pointer finger and squeeze very lightly. This will help you find the bend of the reed. Always remember this simple rule; "bows down, goes down", meaning that the side that bends down is the side you want touching the toneboard for a full, deep tone. You can also flip the reed over to make the call easier to blow, with a cleaner tone.

Once you have your reed bend found and down on the toneboard, you can add your wedge. This part is one of the most important of the tuning process. Ensure that your reed is centered, and that it goes as far to the end of the tone channel as you can without the reed sticking, or making and clicking noises. If you have the reed too far, the reed won't break over, too short and the call will be very heavy with a lot of buzz. The easiest way to check this is to loosely put the guts into the insert, line up the reed, and press it down into the tone channel with your finger.

Once you have your reed lined up with the tone channel, you can begin to work towards the final steps of tuning your short reed goose call. As shown below, showing less reed when the call is tuned will make the call easier to turn over. The call will require less air and have a little less low end, but the notes will be crisp and clean. Inversely, to have a heavier call with a deeper, fuller tone, you can show more reed. Be careful though, the heavier you make a call, the more you risk a call going flat in tone, which you do not want. Normally for beginner to intermediate callers, I recommend the call to be tuned right around the tuning line marked on the guts. This will give you a well-rounded sound with good low-end, crack, and buzz. 

If you do get the call to a point that you really like the tone and range, but still feel it may be a little light, you can always put a little bit more bend in the reed. To do this, just use your pointer finger to flex the reed upward while it is in the call. Be careful doing this though, if you bend it too much you will cause the call to be very heavy to blow and very flat in tone. A small flex is all you need. This will help your call sound  fuller and make it a bit heavier. I do this on most of my calls because it really allows you to fine tune the call.

The wedge also plays an important role in the tone, range, and buzz of a goose call, and it is an important factor of tuning a call. As seen in the picture below on the top, the call has more wedge showing. The more wedge you show, the more buzz and rasp that will be in the call. The picture below on the bottom shows less wedge, which will produce a sound that is cleaner and sharper with little buzz. I normally like to tune my call closer to the call on the right, this is great for hunting and adds a natural rasp and buzz to the call that geese love.

Lastly, once you have your call tuned perfect, you want to get a black sharpie, or any other kind of permanent marker, and draw a line across the top of the wedge on the reed. This will help give you a good reference point next time you want to clean and tune your call.

Overall, there are a few different factors that can complicate the goose call tuning process. But, with practice and patience you can learn to tune with the best of them. Just remember the steps above, and most importantly practice! The more you learn to tune your call and learn the different factors that effect it, the more skill you will gain in tuning, as well as blowing your goose call. 

Offline Steel Rain Calls

• Custom Call Maker
    • Steel Rain Custom Calls
Re: Tuning a Short Reed Goose Call
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »
I have heard there is a way to make a short reed into a snow call is this really possible?
Custom made calls for the average hunter at a price you can count on.

Offline BloodBrother Calls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:33:02 AM »
Great write up! Thanks for taking the time to put this together! I think there used to be a sticky in the duck and goose call tutorial section for tuning goose calls but I think it was linked off another hunting website and the link doesn't work anymore! I would suggest that a Mod should make this a sticky? Thanks again!

Ross
Ross Gunderson
Blood Brother Calls

Offline RedemptionCalls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:34:27 PM »
I have heard there is a way to make a short reed into a snow call is this really possible?

Yes I have done it before but it takes a lot of fine tuning to do so and can be a bit of a challenge. IF you would like more info, feel free to PM me! Thanks